News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Neutral Light Comes On?

Started by akvision, April 17, 2009, 07:18:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

Ok, "V"Garu's :)

The neutral light comes on when the clutch is pulled in on shifting.
The Diode was replaced under the seat.
The neutral switch relay is working on side stand.  Rhpaw says all working normal, "but light comes on when shifting gears and clutch is pulled in".

Any ideas?
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

I would look electrical first.

connecter to the starting circuit cut off relay , it could be dirty/ installed bass awkards/ going to the wrong relay.

the neutral indicator is nowhere near the clutch system in the engine right guys?
Loves to over think things.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: akvision on April 17, 2009, 07:18:02 PM
Ok, "V"Garu's :)

The neutral light comes on when the clutch is pulled in on shifting.
The Diode was replaced under the seat.
The neutral switch relay is working on side stand.  Rhpaw says all working normal, "but light comes on when shifting gears and clutch is pulled in".

Any ideas?

Next Question must be:

Does the Neutral light come on with the key ON when the transmission is in Neutral and the clutch is not pulled?

???
Coil

inanecathode

Sounds like a wonky switch indicating neutral when it shouldnt be.
I'd focus on the switch first, then look at else wiring.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

Coil, 

answer is YES.  Otherwise functions normally.  Will get Rhpaw to weigh in on this.

I think he checked out the switch before he replaced the diode.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Coil Coyle

Quote from: akvision on April 18, 2009, 12:37:03 AM
Coil, 

answer is YES.  Otherwise functions normally.  Will get Rhpaw to weigh in on this.

I think he checked out the switch before he replaced the diode.

Next Questions;

Does the Neutral light stay on until you release the clutch lever when it is in gear?

Will it start in gear without pulling the clutch lever?

???
Coil

akvision

Coil,

Answer YES,  Neutral light functions as normal, with engine running, side stand up or down.  When stand is up and light functions as normal.  Pull in the clutch, light on, drop into gear and let clutch out, then light goes off. Then lights with each shift and depression of clutch lever.  This is the way I understand it.  He says, light come on when I pull in the clutch and light is on when in Nuetral with clutch out.   

I will get him to post on this for better clarity.   

I asked him if he installed the clutch switch backwards. It might be connected  wrong.  Right now, it is a secondary issue as he is getting the major stuff working well.  It is a new switch.  The bike did not have a functioning switch when found.  The switch was absent and wiring was reworked as one wire that was grounded.

new insite?
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Coil Coyle

Quote from: akvision on April 18, 2009, 01:26:19 AM
Coil,

Answer YES,  Neutral light functions as normal, with engine running, side stand up or down.  When stand is up and light functions as normal.  Pull in the clutch, light on, drop into gear and let clutch out, then light goes off. Then lights with each shift and depression of clutch lever.  This is the way I understand it.  He says, light come on when I pull in the clutch and light is on when in Nuetral with clutch out.   

I will get him to post on this for better clarity.   

I asked him if he installed the clutch switch backwards. It might be connected  wrong.  Right now, it is a secondary issue as he is getting the major stuff working well.  It is a new switch.  The bike did not have a functioning switch when found.  The switch was absent and wiring was reworked as one wire that was grounded.

new insite?

Have him look at the Wiring Diagram. The diode inside the STARTING CIRCUIT CUTOFF RELAY was shorted out when the other diode was shorted out with a 12V hot jumper.

The clutch switch is connecting the lamp to ground through that shorted diode. Putting in another relay is easiest. Tear apart the relay and install another IN0004 (any little diode) if you want to do the interesting method, and it will be OK.

;)
Coil

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Kid Jedi on April 17, 2009, 10:57:10 PM
I would look electrical first.

connecter to the starting circuit cut off relay , it could be dirty/ installed bass awkards/ going to the wrong relay.

the neutral indicator is nowhere near the clutch system in the engine right guys?
Kid,

Go to the "HOME" page, click "Technical", Click "Wiring Diagram", look for yourself. What do you think?

:)

Welcome to ROV.

;)
Coil

Coil Coyle

Quote from: akvision on April 18, 2009, 01:26:19 AM

I asked him if he installed the clutch switch backwards. It might be connected  wrong. 

AK,

The switch wires won't matter, frontwards or backwards. Connected wrong only matters if a wire connects to ground. Your ground connection is through the relay diode, if physical reality functions under the same laws up there as it does down here.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Coil Coyle

Quote from: inanecathode on April 17, 2009, 11:39:53 PM
I'd focus on the switch first

Cathode,

We really need to go for a ride this Summer. I'll be trying to do it. "Insh' Allah" we will this Summer.
See Ya,
;)
Coil

inanecathode

If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

akvision

Coil

Thanks, after review of the diagram, I agree that the "Starting circuit cutoff" relay needs repair or replacement.
Something must have happened in the bike's past to blow both diodes..  We will be on the look out for a cut off module, that does seem easiest.

Your efforts are much appreciated.

akV
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

Well, this is really just a continuation of the old thread here,
http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=10006.0
but I toook a video last night.
Truthfully this would be fixed by now, but AKvision told me not to worry about it!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5BHh9R4Ps4

03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

akvision

Hey Mister  R,

We followed the first thread, and that was the other "one" main diode.  There is a second diode packaged in a relay.

Coil is on it.  There is a second diode in the "starter circuit cut off relay.  It is under the seat plugged in next to the VR.

Check the manual on section 7.    I appreciate the vid.    Still snowed in?
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

Snow is gone now. It came in quick and left just as fast.

Starting circuit relay huh??? I swapped the sidestand relay last night and there was no change. I'll try the starter relay tonight.

rhpaw

That did it... STARTER CIRCUIT RELAY

--well, everything in the "pyramid of confusion" had failed, but that was the LAST PART.

(Watch, I'll go for a test ride tomorrow and it will now behave 181% opposite, causing me to question my lucidity tonight)

the wine is still in the cupboard.

Coil Coyle

Quote from: rhpaw on April 21, 2009, 01:05:59 AM
That did it... STARTER CIRCUIT RELAY

--well, everything in the "pyramid of confusion" had failed, but that was the LAST PART.

(Watch, I'll go for a test ride tomorrow and it will now behave 181% opposite, causing me to question my lucidity tonight)

the wine is still in the cupboard.

We owe it all to Tiffanator, she was the first member in the modern ROV to use a 12 volt + test lead and jump around the interlock circuit.

8)
Coil