News:

Main Menu

oil pressure

Started by Buffo, August 11, 2005, 12:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffo

It has been a while since I worked or even thought about the V.

I have an 82 vision! Well I have had it for a while and after cleaning the carbs twice IT STARTED!!!. It runs like crap, no fuel comes out of the nozzles on ether carb but it ran. I will deal with the carbs latter, I now haev another problem.

As the bike was idleing I saw that the oil light stayed on. Since the nozzles don't work you have to very slowly open the throttle...the RPMs go up but the oil light stayed on.

i took the pump off to check it. It has some light circular scoring on both housings. How much scoring is acceptable? My feeler set doesnt have a .12mm gauge... the .13mm is JUST shy of going in and the same with the outer clearance (.09mm - I dont have the 9 but the 10 is a almost).

This bike is really.....

What do I have to do to get this thing to pump oil....

...Do the lights/pressure switches go bad???

What wight oil do you folks recomend???

Don Buffo

ProfessorRex

Glad to hear you got it going after my last phone call.  I'll call tomorrow afternoon when I'm working on mine, and we'll get this thing going right!

Oil:
20w-50 with no friction modifiers.

I use BelRay EXS Full Synthetic, pricey but worth every penny.

As far as the pump goes... I'll have to pass that to the more experianced.

-Rex

Hey honey, uh, I got another vision... HONEY??? Oh yea, thats right she moved out...

ofstone

First check out that the correct type of oil filter is placed and that the oil level is at the correct point visible in the inspection window.

Also check the wire mesh filter on the oilpump assembly itself is clean. Mine was covered with metal pieces (caused by broken starterclutch) and some silicone sealant. You probably have checked that because you had the oil pump out.
The clearences looks a bit out of spec or at the edge. My old pump also had scoring (about 0.5 mm on some places) and was way out of clearence and still was pumping oil. my oil light came on at high rpm's due the clogged wire mesh oil filter. I had my pump replaced by a second hand one, wich also had some scoring but clearences were OK. I also saw other pumps and the all had the circular scoring, so i presume that wil be not a big problem.

Check the wire from the oil pressure switch to make no shorting to the chassis. with contact on and engine not running the oil light should go out if you remove the wire from the oil sensor.
Also check the oil pressure switch itself. If there is oil leaking out were the electrical wire is mount, then probably the sensor is broken and needs to be replaced. If possible connect a pressure gauge there to measure the oil pressure to make sure the switch is fine.

Have you placed the rubber plugs under the cylinder head covers? (4 pieces on every cylinder) if not the oil will fow out and probably no or only a bit oil pressure is generated.

Have you checked the oil pressure limiter valve. It is mounted inside the clutch side cover you have removed to inspect the oilpump. I checked mine with a hand air pump with manometer and the valve started leaking at about 3.7 bars. Since oil is thicker than air i presumed it was ok.

Also, and very importand, have you replaced the oil seal secured by a circlip inside the clutch engine side cover? This seal goes over the crackshaft for the lubricating of the big ends and the starter clutch wile the crackshaft is turning. The manual says you have to replace it every time the cutch side cover is removed, otherwise there wil be an oil leak.

If some main bearings are worn out, than probably the oil light would started to flicker at some time when you rev up the engine, or at idle. Most of the time the engine then generates a lot of strange noises also...........

jasonm.

If it's not electrical, it's the crank seal. Too many yahoos take these apart, damage the seal and toast the engine. You must replace the cover gasket, you CANNOT Permatex the cover on. Clearances won't allow it.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Buffo

well I will order the oil seal and the clip to replace what the manual doesnt tell you to replace...

I bought a brand new oil pump...and still had no oil pressure.

If the seal isnt the problem I am going to part the bike out.

Thanks for your help.

Don

Paul_Jungnitsch

You may want to double check your indicator light with a mechanical gauge. Walmart sells them cheap.