News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Idle Speed

Started by Willie, August 16, 2005, 10:26:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willie

After throughly checking the YICS and not finding any leaks, I pulled the connector for the rev limiter from the TCI box and now the bike idles nicely and sounds and feels like it is hitting on both cylinders all the time (It seemed liked it kept dropping the rear cylinder before and when the rear did hit the idle surged and was unpredictable and annoying!)? So, thanks for the rev limiter tip.?

Now, sometimes, not every time, when pulling up to a stop the idle seems to hang around between 3k and? 3.5k.? It will slowly come back to 1300, sometimes after a few seconds and sometimes not for what seems like a minute.? I have checked the throttle cable tension, slightly loose at idle although not noticable at the twistgrip, the pivot for the idle stop and the butterfly pivots on the carbs, which all seem clean and free.? What have I forgot to check? ???

Superfly

What condition are the carb boots in?  also check your YICS lines (I had one collapse)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Willie

The carb boots look good and don't feel either soft and spongy or hard and brittle.

I put new hoses on the YICS.

There is a tight turn in the fuel line that I don't like the appearance of but I haven't changed it yet.  My thinking is a bind in the fuel line might lead to starvation, not a high sticky idle.  Am I wrong?

Superfly

Have you cleaned your carbs lately, checked the synch & re-set the pilot air screws?

Willie

Rick rebuilt my carbs last summer.  I synched them earlier this summer.  I have not touched the pilot air screws.

Lucky

set the pilots first, probably will make all the difference. if not, check for vacuume leaks by spraying tiny shots of carb cleaner thru the straw tube at any poss vacuume leak sources. don't forget the petcock, fuel pump & flapper door.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Willie

Finally got back to the bike last night.? Didn't want to idle worth beans, pulled the YICS and thought it was fixed, then it died! Finally got it restarted and it died again after about 2 minutes while I was trying to set the pilot adjustments.? Finally got it restarted and while fiddleing with the pilot adjustments I noticed that the feul line went from full of fuel to small bubbles and then huge bubbles then hardly any fuel at all in the line!? Switching the valve to PRIme from ON let the thing idle without starving the beast.? It seems to me that I might have been trying to solve at least four problems(pinhole leaks in the YICS, fuel stavation, rev limiter, and not quite balanced carbs) all at the same time without realizing it.? Now it makes a bit more sense to my pea-sized brain why different things were happening.? Now all I need is time to sort it all out.? I may finish the season riding in PRI and adress the petcock this winter and POR the tank at the same time (I hope it goes better than Mr. Crackerkorean's saga (I hope he finnally gets that all reconciled!)

Thanks for the help and if you folks have any other suggestions ...

Lucky

it's good to allways consider the possability of multiple, unrelated problems when diagnosing this thing, even if it was running good before.

it doesn't allways happen, but it seems to be more common than not.

--Lucky

YellowJacket!

I had the same problem.  I replaced my jets (after mixing them up...dont ask) and replaced my boots and vacuum lines.  Purrs like a kitten.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Superfly

YellowJacket!

I forgot to mention that my kitten is black and gray, weighs 467 lbs and is running on 93 octane at 6700 rpms.  When she idles, she purrs.  When I open her up, she gets mean and nasty.  :D

David

Superfly

That is one big kitten!

Lucky

ok, i expect a post from heather any time now...

YellowJacket!

;D

Sorry about the gender thing.  I call it She/her because my wife says I love it more than her...I think she's on to something.  She hates motorcycles.  Gotta find me someone like Heather.  ;)

David