News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

petcock leak

Started by rcalaga, August 21, 2005, 09:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcalaga

Just yesterday, gas started to leak from the washers of the 2 screws on the petcock that go onto the fuel tank. I went to hardware store and got a couple of neoprene washers but the leak doesn't want to stop. Has anyone had a problem like this ?? Where can find the new washers and the o-ring.
thanks...

Lucky

if you replaced the & it still leaks, then you need to carefully re-examine the petcock for cracks & serious corrosion.

if you didn't replace the o-ring, you can try some fuel proof sealer schmered on the old o-ring, or play match up at the hardware store.

i don't know if the keyster kit has those seals or not... (82 only)

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

rcalaga

Lucky, I was able to find an o-ring from the home depot that fit perfectly but the fuel seems be creeping thro' the screws. The petcock base looks in decent condition, no cracks.
I am going to see if I can find some washers from the motorcycle store tomorrow - they seem to be made of some cloth or some other material. I hope this fixes it, else I am not sure what else to do.

Rupert

I've had a similar problem before because I was trying to do preventative maintenance!

Get some rubber, cut it into 2 squares, fold over in half diagonally cut a small hole in the centre. This will make a 'square' type rubber washer, and now you can trim the outer edges if you want it to look round.

I did this as I had to replace the factory screws, I installed some stainless cap screws with washers, easy to install and remove.

:)
Ah, there's that bolt for the bike from last month's tinkering.
Now where could it go?

rcalaga

Rupert, What kind of rubber material did you use??
I got these neoprene washers from home depot, but they are thick and very soft and compress a lot when I tighten the screws. The fuel still seems to leak thro' the screw with the new washers.

Rupert

Just used some rubber that came with bicycle light clamps, about 1.5mm thick, left over stuff.
Perhaps try a gasket making place or two and they could give/sell cheap some wee offcuts of gasket rubber.

Now where could it go?

rcalaga

After several washers and some careful inspection, it looks like the leak is coming from between the petcock and the fuel tank. I tried putting a new o-ring but didn't help much. Should I try to get a new petcock ??

Rupert

To be more precise, do you mean that fuel is leaking between the o-ring mating surface of the petcock assembly and the gas tank?

If yes, is your replacement o-ring the proper rounded rectangle type or just a round one made to fit the shape?

Also, you could try cap screws instead of the philips head type screws so you can tighten down the assembly to the bike a bit firmer.

Not sure about trying a new petcock though..
Now where could it go?

louthepou

Sometimes, the surface of the tank where the petcock should sit isn't that flat and nice anymore, thus allowing a leak. Make sure it's clean and flat. Like Rupert says, the stock Yamaha gasket, new, is the one to use.

We'll get there!

Louis
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

rcalaga

Rupert, Yes the leak seems to be coming from surface between the tank and the petcock, and the new o-ring I have is just a round rubber 0-ring that fits almost perfectly into the groove. I figured this would do the trick but maybe as you say I have to probably get the real part.
Both surfaces look pretty flat to the eye. I will try a hex screw to tighten it bit more. thanks!