News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Spanner Wrench?

Started by MotorPlow, August 25, 2005, 02:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Does anyone know what size spanner wrench is needed to loosen the lock nuts in the steering head?  I've never needed to own a 'Spanner Wrench" before, I know nothing about them.

Help,
Chris F.

Blake

hey chris.  i made one a few years back. i think i may have brought it with me.  just used a piece of steel and cut out a circle with a single notch to fit in one of the nuts.  I just use that on the bottom one and either a big set of vice grips or adjustable wrench on the top and it worked fine.

if you want im sure i cand dig it up and bring it over.  plus i have some parts for you too..

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

MotorPlow

Blake, that sounds like a plan to me.

Thanx,
Chris F.

Lead_Deficiency

Check the tool kit that came with the bike. I used the wrench that you use to adj the preload on the rear shock.

louthepou

The tool that came with the kit usually slips (for me anyway) destroys my knuckles. I tool a flat-tipped punch, grinded it so it has just the right angle and use a hammer with it to loosen / tighten them.

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Superfly

Hammer & Flat-tip screwdriver worked well for me (old guy at a junkyard showed me that)
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

MotorPlow

All good ideas.  Never even thought about opening the tool kit that comes with the bike.

Thanx,
Chris F.

kiawrench

Chris,
   go down to lowes or home depot, ,, back in plumbing dept they have a few spanners, used on some pipe work of some type, the one i bought was for wall mounted urinals , on the valve section, fits the shock, and the neck locknuts ,
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Lead_Deficiency

That tool kit also has a sort of screw driver handle in it that you can use to remove the plugs on the top of the forks, just place the handle in the plug then use a socket on the other end to unthread them.

kiawrench

Officer Motor Plow ,,,
? ? I checked the size on my plumber's spanner, it is a 2 1/2 inch spanner for wall hung urinals, works perfectly on the triple tree/neck? nuts, is good and solid too, so if needed,you can pop it a lick or two with a hammer and not ruin it (drop forged steel)
? ? Thought that might help
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

MotorPlow

Good deal! I have to go to Roanoke this afternoon, so I will stop in at Lowe's and see if I can't pick one up.

Thanx Again,
Chris F.