News:

Main Menu

sparkynostarty

Started by provisions, August 31, 2005, 09:08:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

provisions

hi ,i just aquired a vision 550 ,from a guy who is vey mechanical,it doesnt run ,he fixed fuel petcock and added some fuel lines ,he couldnt get it to run.i got it to run for about 2 mins ,once.thought it was out of gas ,i added gas ,now i get nothing,just cranks,i checked spark,its there.i cut black/yell wire to tci.also black/whiteto tci ,still get spark ,and gas pumps into venturi's when i give it gas,still nothing....any and all help will be appreciated,when it ran sounded good,but exhuast seemed to leak a bit ,could this rob me of starting compression?thanks again d.s.also my air filter foam disentigrated ,i scraped off remaining residue,will this affect my starting,without the tight seal (foam) in airbox?its 82 w10,000 miles,everything else sems to work o.k?

louthepou

IF there's spark, then there may be no fuel or no compression. Can't be anything else.

I'd take a look at the plugs after cranking a bit. If there's no sign of gasoline on the plugs, you know the carbs should be looked at. Often, bikes sit for a while, sludge builds up in the carbs, then a tear down, clean and reassemble is necessary.

That would be my first guess. Let us know if this helps,

Lou
Hi, my name is Louis, and I'm a Vision-o-holic

Lucky

these bikes, 82's especially, can be nearly impossable to start if the carbs are out of wack.  set both pilot screws at 3 turns, 3/4 to full choke, one twist on the throttle & hit the starter button.  this may take several tries adjusting the pilots.

if it still doesn't start, pull the carbs & set the synq by eye as close as possable & try again.  sounds like the carbs just are not in the ball park.

assuming you get it running, you'll then have to fine tune the synq & pilots to have it run well. 

also, make sure the YICS isn't leaking, that'll make it hard to start.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

Having revived more than a few of these engines, I would say that if you have spark, you are in pretty good shape!  What I would do is take the gas tank off, and take the airbox off, get some "starting fluid" and shoot it down into the carbs, then hit the start button.  If the engine starts and runs for a few seconds, I would suspect the carbs.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

provisions

thanx for help ,is it 3 turns out from seated (lightly)with the pilot screws ,to start with?I did try the starter fluid thought for sure it would ignite ,but didnt.i had the same thing happen with mercury outboard motor ,gave it starting fluid ,nothing ,the choke had to be held for 10 seconds or it wouldnt start.how do i check the yics?thanx again d.s.

Lucky

there is no "correct" setting for the pilot screws, the front is often set at 2 1/2 turns, & the rear at 4 1/2 turns, from lightly seated, but they need to be fine tuned once the bike is running.

instructions for testing the YICS are on my site

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black