News:

Main Menu

Connection Rod Bearings

Started by Superfly, December 13, 2004, 08:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Superfly

Hey Guys,

I figured I would finally break into that engine I had that froze up on me. What happend is the front connection rod bearing wore out, slipped, and they stacked on top of each other freezing the piston.  I was looking through the haynes manual and it noted a color code chart referencing the size of the bearing.  In the process of wearing out, in wore out a good part of the bearing, and I do not know what color was on it.  There were 2 numbers stamped on the crankshaft stamped "3" and 1" the  bearing that wore out was next to the "1".  How do I figure out what size, or should I just take the crankshaft & bearing to the dealer.
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Josh M

I would take it to the dealer and have them measure the crank and the rod, then order the correct bearing according to the measurement.
shiny shiny....

Superfly

Just got off the phone with Yamaha, It sounds like I am going to have to take the crankshaft into the dealer.

I was checking out the rest of the engine while I have it completely disassembled, and I must say that it is in great shape.  Pistons were good, rings were good, even the main bearings looked good and moved freely. I still might replace them while I have the engine split open.

Cracking open the engine was not that bad (my guess is putting it back together will be a bear, they always are! ;D) just had to fight & cuss with the clutch basket screw.  wish me luck on getting my old engine back!!
A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Josh M

shiny shiny....