News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Yo, What's with the clip ons?...

Started by MotorPlow, May 19, 2005, 10:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotorPlow

Found this in an eBay Auction.  Anyone else have a setup like this?

Just curious,
Chris F.

h2olawyer

Chris -

I believe Rick_G has something similar on his.  He may say something about them next time he posts.  Looks kind of like an odd angle to get to the key with this set-up.  Great for tailoring the riding position, though.  If the wrist angle was bad for me with the short risers, I'd be looking into doing something similar.  The 83 style risers seem to work well for me, though.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

fiddlesticks

wow I have been wondering about having different bars on a V. I wonder what they came off.
1 Black 82 Virago 750

"With Frongs like that you don't need anemones"

Riche

They look like standard superbike bars from the era. My 81 GPZ 550 (Kaw) came with them in black crome. The Kaw bars were narrower than what the aftermarket was selling at the time. With wider you can cut to suite. Some bikes had the handlebar clamps cast in the upper tripple tree and others had them as a seperate piece along with the cap. The pix looks like that was the solution used.

Look here for a aftermarket example: http://www.holeshot.com/old/Bandit/bndt_bars.html

Superfly

I rode around with these for a bit...
It was on a parts bike that I acquired, eventually I put the bars in the "parts bin" and went back to stock.

A bad marrage is like dirty carbs... It just makes everything else suck.

Lucky

Super, interested in selling that upper clamp with the bar holders? will it still accept a stock set of guages?
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

jasonm.

this set up is simple. Just using bar mounts form an older XS360/400. The upper tree is drilled. The uprights on the original bars are cut off.
? To make my '83 more comfortable I welded on 2" of stock to the ends. This keeps my shoulders apart. Also giving me more leverage for turning. Super comfort now.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

Superfly

Yes I would sell them, I am not using them.  Llet me double check tonight about the gauge mounts

Lucky

cool beans, email me what you want for them.
--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Superfly

VisionaryDan

Hey,

I won the aution for the clip-on bike. I can now use it to finish up original V and finally get a fairing on it. I plan to pick it up next weekend (6/4). If anyone wants to know how those bars are mounted I'll check it out and let you know.

Dan

GAJim

I have a set up like this.  I got an older triple tree off of ebay.  Drilled the holes and had them welded.  I perfer them over the 82 stockers.

Jim

VisionaryDan

I picked up the (clip on) bike today. The mounting of the handle bars is done my drilling holes though  the triple tree (one bolt each side). It's bolted in from the bottom. The crazy thing is that the key was made special so it clears the bar mounts. The top of the key is almost cut in half but it works.

Dan

Rick G

I have two versions of this , one I made my self , the bars sit back about 2 inches farther . I also have the mounts from the Vision race bike , they sit lower  but are about the same distance back.

A former Visionary named Burk Storty  (his bike is in the Gallery)  inspired  me the make a set . For me  the stock ones have 3  positions , too high , too low , and not right either.  The lower 83 style   put too much weight  on my sholder joints  and caused me  a lot of grief. I have a set of  the mounts I  used to build mine and will sell them if anyone is interested in building this type of bar mount.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike