News:

Main Menu

82' Vs. 83' fuel pump ?

Started by QBS, May 30, 2004, 06:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Are the 83' and 82' fuel pumps interchangable?  Cheers.

jasonm.

No, I believe the regulators are different. The '83 sends excess back to the tank. The '82 does it differently, just bleeds it off some how. If you have a fuel delivery problem. Just get an electric one. They are cheap and draw less than 1 amp when they are pumping...which is not all the time.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

QBS

I'm definetly having a fuel delivery problem.  Bike acts like its going on reserve at approx. 90 miles instead of its usual 160.  It will then struggle along for as many miles as I can stand (not many).  During this time petcock position makes no differance and neither does removing the gas cap and running without it in place.  Then when I refill the tank it runs great.  I have checked the fuel petcock riser pipe screens and find no blockage.  I have disassembled the petcock themselves and find no debris.  The petcock vacuum line isn't cracked and shows good vacuum when the bike isrunning.  Swaping in another spare 83' fuel pump made no improvement or change.

My current thinking is to buy an '83 petcock rebuild kit (you know, the kind that has all the fancy aluminium castings plastic riser pipes attached to it) and fit it to the tank and simutaniously install an after market fuel pump.

However, before I do these things I'm going to do one last very carefull investigation of all fuel lines running between the pump and the carbs and tank and the pump.  

cheers.

Blake

hey jason..
i was actually looking for an electric fuel pump for my bike.. however..i havent been able to find any small compact electric ones.   any ideas?  I was concidering the eldebrock red (lowest gpm flow(200gmp? and 4psi)..but still..little too big to be bolting on the bike.

thanks,

Blake
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Walt_M.

Have you tried other motorcycles? My '85 FZ750 had a small electric pump. I don't remember the dimensions but it was about 3-4 in. long and about 1.5 in. diameter. Probably cost an arm and a leg from Yamaha but ebay? I'm going to start looking.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Lucky

I haven't tried it but according to Rick G the pumps won't physicly interchange (but I can't picture in my head why they wouldn't..)

the rebuild kit for the 82's Keyster offers should work in the 83's, you just won't need the small triangle shaped diaphram for the 82's return.

QBS, what petcock rebuilt kit "(you know, the kind that has all the fancy aluminium castings plastic riser pipes attached to it)" are you talking about?....

There is a rebuild kit listed on Ebay occasionaly that says fits the 82's & 83's, but it's only for the 82's. the seller knows it & refused to change the auction listing (i can't remember who it is)  

James Ransome says that two 82 petcock diaphrams (Keyster has 'em) will substitute for an 83 dual diaphram. (says the holes all line up)Of course, then you have to buy 2 kits to do the job...$60ish worth of kits to do one petcock...

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

QBS

Luckey: That was my dry humorous way of saying that I'm considering buying a brand new, over the Yamadealer counter petcock.  The last one I bought ten years ago cost $60.00, Gag!!  

Finding another bike model fuel pump sounds like an interesting alternative.  Cheers.

Cdnlouie

I am familiar with the XVZ1200 Venture fuel pump that is not very large and should supply a reasonable rate pressure if you found one cheap, like on ebay.  It does not draw very much current and is about 2.5 by 4 inches in size.  Anything in the 83 and up 80's are pretty much the same.

Try the previous suggestions first, but if you really want an electric pump it may very well do the job.

Louie

Rick G

The problem is mostly in the bracket .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike