News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

spark plug gap

Started by kwells, May 31, 2004, 11:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwells

Got new plugs...can anyone tell me what the correct gap is supposed to be...still waiting for the manual.

Kevin
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

h2olawyer

Hi Kevin -

The Haynes manual says the following - condensed but the pertinent stuff is here.

Your spark plug gap should be 0.024 - 0.028 in. or 0.6 - 0.7 mm.

Remember to put a little anti sieze compound carefully on the threads before you install them. (not in Haynes but have read it in several other places for spark plug install) ?Also, be sure to start the threads by hand to be sure they are not cross threading. ?Use your hands or fingers until they are finger tight then use the wrench to tighten them 1/4 turn.

Do not over tighten them. ?The heads are aluminum and can be damaged by cross threading or over tightening the plugs.

May be basic info but better safe than sorry.

H2o
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

kwells

Hey Thanks...I actually gapped them at .29....which was what the ones were that I pulled out....If still have backfire probs...I'll gap them closer...

DOn't worry about the basic info, it's always appreciated...I learned the hard way on a quad 4 motor on overtightening head bolts....
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

gbranche

The Yamaha manual has the following info in a box on page 2-9:

Standard spark plug:
  D8EA (NGK) or
  X24ES-U (NIPPON DENSO)

Spark plug gap:
  0.6~0.7 mm (0.024~0.028 in)

Spark plug tightening torque:
  20 Nm (2.0 m-kg, 14 ft-lb)

Greg

Lucky

here's a fool-proof way of preventing crossed plug threads:
slip a piece of fuel line a couple of inches long over the plug and use that to thread in the plugs. when your a few threads in, pull the fuel line off & finish with the plug socket. It's virtually impossable to cross thread them.

--Lucky
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black