News:

Main Menu

Hannigan Fairings...

Started by Tiger, January 30, 2009, 04:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

:) As we know, fairings for the Vision are becoming increasingly scarce and therefore good used ones can come at a high price. We sometimes have to resort to buying in stages as pieces "surface"..A bracket here, a lower there, etc, etc... :-\

Vadasz1 put this thread up... http://ridersofvision.net/forum/index.php?topic=9931.0 and Kennys remarks made me think, what if  :-\ So I decided to do some research, contacted Hannigan and came up with some information...in part, based on Vadasz1's thread...

Now for some (somewhat) good news 8) First, take a look in the Gallery and you will see a green, fully faired Vision that used to belong to "Kenny"...its a Hannigan Fairing.......and Hannigan still produce them!!!!!!! However, they are not cheap, as one would expect... ::)

I contacted Hannigan and here is some of the information they sent me in a couple of different emails...

Thank you for contacting us here at Hannigan Fairing Company.  I am sorry to tell you that in the late 1980's the welding jig for the Vision mount, along with welding jigs for at least 60 other motorcycle models, was lost.  I went upstairs and looked in the archive of old instructions and did not find any entry for the Vision so the fitting information for installing a Hannigan Fairing to a Yamaha Vision was lost probably then as well. 

I can tell you that most of the instructions from that time consisted of six sentences without much real information so the actual value of the instructions was limited.  I do have one photo of our SS model fairing on a Vision and from that I can tell you that we still make the SS Fairing and Full-Lowers that are shown in the Vision photo and our current production Mid-Lowers will also fit the Vision.  We offer a H4 lighting retro fit kit for all older Hannigan Fairings if you need a headlight.  Nearly all parts are still in production. 

We have a Hannigan Fairing electrical information sheet on inspecting and cleaning up the fairing electrical components so your lights stay bright once your fairing is on your Vision.

If you send a photo of the Vision's steering head and down tube area with a ruler to show scale I can measure some of our existing mounts and see if we have one that is in the ball park and that can be modified to fit a Vision.  For example we do still have the 920 Virago mount welding jig and this mount may be similar to the one for the Vision. 

We also offer a Custom Builder's Kit if you have access to fabrication and welding skills.  The kit includes production stampings that fit to the bike's chassis and rails that fit the under side of Hannigan Fairings.  Then it is just a matter of welding the two groups of parts together to form a mount. 

I hope this information is of some help.  We do try our best to help keep the older Hannigan Fairings on the road where they belong.

Best regards and good riding to you,

Jerry Heil

...AND

HI John,

I am sorry I am unable to send you any documents for a few days.  We had a massive computer failure yesterday and we are essentially out of business until we can make repairs.   

Does someone in the Vision Club have a Vision Windjammer mount?  If you can find a Vision mount for a Hannigan or a Vision mount to a Windjammer I can produce a mount that will fit a Vision. 

Custom Mount = US$325.00 Powder Coated with stainless hardware

Full-Tour-Lowers = US$599.00 with stainless hardware

Full-Four-Cylinder-Lowers = US$499.00 with stainless hardware.  These are the type shown in the photo of your friend's Vision. 

Mid-Lowers = US$229.00 with stainless hardware

H4 Retro Fit Headlight Kit = US$229.00 with $100 returned as a deposit when the kit's drilling templates and tools are returned.  Complete turn-key system with gaskets and stainless hardware.  Easier headlight adjustment and more range than original.  Gaskets keep gear stored in the fairing dry. 

HID Retro Fit Headlight Kit = US$599.00 with $100 returned as a deposit when the kit's drilling templates and tools are returned.  Complete turn-key system with gaskets and stainless hardware.  Easier headlight adjustment and more range than original.   Gaskets keep gear stored in the fairing dry. 

99% of all original Hannigan Fairing parts are still available as spares and many have been updated for better performance. 

If you do not get a timely reply to your next email I will respond as soon as our system is back in operation. 

Best regards and good riding to you,

Jerry Heil
Hannigan Fairing Company
112 South Elm St.
Paris, AR 72855
800-324-7660, 479-963-4603, fax 479-963-9218
www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com
hannigan@centurytel.net

So if anyone wishes to persue an interest in a Hannigan Fairing or they have an upper and are looking for lowers, a headlight, etc, please contact Jerry Heil.

I hope this information that I've posted will be of interest to someone here 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Kenny

Hi John,
       Very interesting conversation with Jerry, I bought my SS Fairing from the previous owner of Hannigan's - this was Dave Hannigan who lived in Toronto at the time around 1983.
   Dave said they did not make a mount for the Yamaha Vision,which to me was a drawback. I being the stubborn character I am I went ahead anyhow as I decided I would fabricate my own mount. I built one with hacksaw and a buzzbox (read heavy) my shop at the time was a 6x6 garden shed with an extension so I could stand up,so I bolted the unit up and went out for a ride out towards the Libby dam made about 35 kms before one piece broke off.
   I remember seeing a advertisement for a Vetter quicksilver fairing so the next time we visited Spokane we picked one up and I modified it to fit the Hannigan -basically this mount wrapped around the down tubes & hooked onto the 82 frame at the same bolt holes the 3/4 Yamaha fairing bolts on.
   I had this set up on the Vision for 74,000 kms and loved it. I could head off on a weekend trip with the fairing storage area packed and a tank bag (skookum) and have enough supplies. As for the lowers I modified them from the set that fit the 4cyld bike and put a heat outlet duct in each side as I wanted the Radiator cooling to work well.
   I even crash tested the unit on a greasy constuction site down at Cody Wy at a Rider Magazine Rally. Man this setup was bullet proof ,most of the air flowed around the top of the Helmet so noise was not an issue,also crosswinds did not bother me with this setup.
    John, I have most of the mount set up somewhere here or could built you one  if you want to use this unit.
                               Cheers Ken S. ;) :)     
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Tiger

:)Hey Kenny, it was because of your remarks that I decided to pick one up... 8)

Its not the one vadasz1 posted, as that was gone by the time I got back from being away to Windsor for a few days on business. The lady who owned that one told me she had a lot of interest in her's. However, she was good enough to email me about a friend who had the same model and was interested in selling his :o so, long story short... off to down town Toronto I went (PITA drive!!).

I'll buy the mount you have, if you want to part with it. Send me an email and let me know what I owe you for it and postage...many thanks in advance.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Kenny

8) Tiger sent you a PM.
                     Ken S. :D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Night Vision

Kenny, go to the website http://www.hanniganmotorcyclefairings.com/

and click on Yamaha..... they pilfered a pic of YOUR bike  :(
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

vadasz1

Check out the QUADRACYCLE in the side car link at the bottom.

If I could win the lottery then maybe.....just maybe.....
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Coil Coyle

Man o' man,

That would sure look good on the Flying Pig

:( :(
Coil

Tiger

Quote from: Kenny on January 30, 2009, 06:51:13 PM
   8) Tiger sent you a PM.
                     Ken S. :D

:) Thanks Kenny...read & answered 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

:) Well, I've decided to install another Yamaha full fairing...soooo, the Hannigan is "For Sale"... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Tiger

8) SOLD!!!...to the man from Trenton, Ontario...enjoy 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

Kenny

Thanks Bud! ;) :)
      You have made a long distance guy very Happy!!! ;D ;D ;D
                           Cheers Ken S.                           
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

Tiger

Quote from: Kenny on February 15, 2009, 04:23:31 PM
   Thanks Bud! ;) :)
      You have made a long distance guy very Happy!!! ;D ;D ;D
                           Cheers Ken S.                           

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D Enjoy it Kenny... 8)