News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Windscreen Install / Drilling Question

Started by davidpope, January 30, 2009, 07:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidpope

Just got my new windscreen today. However it does not come with pre-drilled holes. It is made or acrylic/plexiglass. Was wondering what type of drill bit I should use to drill the holes. The site and instructions call for an acrylic bit, however I went to Lowes and was unable to locate a bit. I dont want to crack or scratch the screen.

How should I begin? Just line it up and mark the holes? Should I drill pilot holes or use a soldering iron to burn starter holes?

Also is it best to use nylon hardware? I have heard this is better in the event I do a superman through it. Dont want to have a motorcycle with a gilitean on the front but I also want to make sure the hardware is strong enough to keep it from blowing off.

I have never had a fairing or a windscreen before so any tips or suggestions would be really appreciated.

I have gotten some advice from YellowJacket and Tiger but would love as much as I can get. Thanks in advance.

kwells

not sure about drilling..but use nylon hardware.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

vadasz1

You can use a multi-step drill.  There should be one that goes from 1/8"- 3/8".  You will only possibly have to drill for a 1/4" hole.

Hardware could be of the plastic kind, but I am using 1'4" button head socket cap screws.  If I am going down at full speed I don't think I will be worrying about the windscreen much..... ::)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Rick G

Go to someone who deals in plexy glass and get the special drill for that purpose , other wise you may crack the shield. I drilled the holes after marking tham with a fine tip marker. support the shield on a solid surface and put an old towel down to protect it.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Rick G on January 31, 2009, 12:42:55 AM
Go to someone who deals in plexy glass and get the special drill for that purpose , other wise you may crack the shield.

You can make your own, the angle needs to be about like this > ( 60 degrees by McMaster Carr spec ) and don't give it much back angle. You can use a block on each side clamped together too.

What you have to avoid is the drill biting the side as it leaves the back of the hole, that just breaks the acrylic instantly. A dull edge helps.

What ever you use, practice on the old stuff until you get the feel of the bit biting a breaking the material. That's what you have to avoid.

And, the hole should be oversize so the sheild can contract and expand or it will break when that happens.

$0.02
;)
Coil

Brian_Matthewson

Here's what you need for drilling http://www.bikescreen.com/products.asp?cat=107
I've used their drill on one of their screens & it makes it a no brainer.
They also sell nylon hardware.
1982 Vision rider from 1991 to 2012.