My 82 Vision Resurected

Started by davidpope, February 03, 2009, 06:44:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidpope

After a few months, a ton of parts, a handfull of money, and a ton of posts and pms my 1982 Vision has been resurected. She still has some gremlins in the wiring, a busted speedo, and some other odds and ends but she has passed her first two test drives. I thought I would post some pictures(or try to at least) of where she is now and tell all of you who have helped thankyou. Without your advice, ideas, and technical knowledge I could never have gotten this far.

Now that I have her up and running on both cylinders and she looks half way decent I'll try to remember the one suggestion my father game me, "keep the rubber side down". Again thankyou all.

Night Vision

put some rubber on that peg!

I do like black Visions the most  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Coil Coyle

Tiger

:) Well done...another good example of what one of our younger members has achieved with a certain amount of time, money, patience and t.l.c... 8)

The best way to debug a Vision is.......getting miles put on her to blow away the cobwebs and gremlins  ;) This will also help you to build confidence in your Vision as well as in yourself...ENJOY!!!

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

I was wondering what you were munching on!!!
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Tiger

Quote from: Night Vision on February 04, 2009, 05:23:52 PM

I was wondering what you were munching on!!!

8) A Hahahahaharley rider from Kiev!!! :o :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Nice job David.  She's coming along Quite nice.

Tiger....at least its an arm and not hooters.  :-o

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Kenny

WOW!! NICE
    Are you installing a windscreen? A couple of times I have used a 2x2 sheet of lexan & made one to fit,this is without heating it, just starting at the center with one screw attaching it to the shape of the fairing(you can lay it over the original to get the general shape.)I find the end result is a screen that is does not have the same curve overaul but works ok. You also get a bit more (higher) using the two ft sheet.
& NV The black ones ar ok with a Fairing?I do like black Visions the most   i 
                             Cheers Ken S. ;) ;D
2 XV 920rh 81
1 Red/White 83
1 Blue/White 83
Bmw R100rs 84
TDM 850  92

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Kenny on February 05, 2009, 07:21:36 PM
WOW!! NICE
    Are you installing a windscreen? A couple of times I have used a 2x2 sheet of lexan & made one to fit,this is without heating it, just starting at the center with one screw attaching it to the shape of the fairing(you can lay it over the original to get the general shape.)I find the end result is a screen that is does not have the same curve overaul but works ok. You also get a bit more (higher) using the two ft sheet.
& NV The black ones ar ok with a Fairing?I do like black Visions the most   i 
                             Cheers Ken S. ;) ;D

I bought a sheet of 3mm polycarbonate, but the force required to cold bend it makes me worry that I will crack the fibreclass of the fairing.  What thickness did you use?  Do you have pics?

Re-Vision

David, I once replaced a windshield on my black 82's fairing with plexiglass (different fairing and didn't look near as good as yours) and solved the problem by putting the plastic in the oven for a short while. My personal preference would be Lexan because it wont shatter like polycarb.

Bobby Crabb

The Prophet of Doom

Quote from: Bobby D. Crabb on February 06, 2009, 12:03:43 AM
My personal preference would be Lexan because it wont shatter like polycarb.

Bobby Crabb
Lexan *is* polycarbonate.  It is acrylic (plexiglas) that shatters with throat slitting sharpness, although there are toughened acrylics available these days which are almost as tough, but won't scratch up so badly

Re-Vision

Thanks for the correction Roro, I was relying on a poor memory about plastics.  I knew for sure that I liked Lexan over Plexiglass because its just about impossible to break Lexan.

Bobby

Coil Coyle

Quote from: Bobby D. Crabb on February 06, 2009, 06:45:57 PM
Thanks for the correction Roro, I was relying on a poor memory about plastics.  I knew for sure that I liked Lexan over Plexiglass because its just about impossible to break Lexan.

Bobby

If you use a regular twist drill to drill Lexan, it's easy to break.

:D :o ;D
Coil