News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Resurrection / excorcism steps?

Started by dchakrab, February 14, 2009, 02:59:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dchakrab

Hey all,

I'm finding myself focusing less on work, for the first time in a couple of years. I also need a couple of projects to keep my mind off a recent tragedy (a very old friend was murdered last weekend, back home in India).

Here's the current collection:

1. '02 Vstar 1100 Custom, parked in DC, desperately needs a new parking place till insurance scum pay up. The frame is most likely bent, tank and forks damaged, brake rotors damaged, front wheel probably bent. Massive damage from an encounter with a drunk driver in an SUV in '07, basically. Probably not salvageable, but I'm listing it anyway.

2. '84ish CB125. Ran perfectly 2 years ago, even in the Chicago winter. Needs turn signals. Kick start.

3. '83 V. Parts bike. Super-rusted tank, cracked / damaged fairings, been sitting for 3 years. No carbs.

4. '83 Non-parts bike. Kinda sorta ran 2 years ago. Turn signals used to "stick".

I'm assuming I should start with #2 or #4. I was going to buy a new battery for the V and see if I can turn it on, to start :) I figure the next step is to swear at the carbs for a while, and then mail them to Rick? What else should my autopsy include?

Both have been stored indoors, but on concrete, so I'm guessing they'll need new tires eventually. I'll save that for later, when I know they'll run again, someday :) For anyone who doesn't remember, I have zero mechanical knowledge, and have destroyed one set of '83 carbs in the past, so I'm hesitant to work on anything unobtainium. On the other hand, I am *not* averse to spending a little cash to get both bikes running again. Work issues are going to keep me from buying the BMW RT I was planning for this spring, so I can justify spending a little to get some working two-wheeled transportation up and running.

Thanks for any tips you guys can offer. What do you guys do first when you find a barn-rescue Vision?

Dave.
Dave's Blog on community technology, Drupal, website development, and nonprofit SEO.

Project Manager at the Chicago Technology Coop, focusing on nonprofit web development.

Night Vision

if #'s 2 & 4 ran 2 years ago, then both probably need carb work

since this is the Vision forum, I'd say: send your carbs to Rick
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

xswheels

Forget the CB125 and work on your Vision. Pull your carbs and send them off for a rebuild. While you are waiting, seal your YICS box or better yet pull all the vacuum lines off and  cap your ports at the intake manifold. Speaking of the manifolds, check them very closely for cracks. If they are full thickness cracks, get replacements. If they are only weathered, seal them with liquid tape. Next clean all the connections on your wiring harness. Pull them apart one at a time and spray contact cleaner. Take a close look inside your tank and decide if the rust is serious. Buy a tank sealing product (Por15) and fix your tank, or hire someone to do it.
You can do all these jobs yourself, they are not hard. This way when your carbs are returned, you will have a fighting chance to get your Vision running.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

As far as cleaning up electrical gang plugs , I prefer to unplug them and dip them in CLR,  the cleaner used on plumbing fixtures. Dip them for one minuet , then dip them in clear water for one minuet. Spray them with WD 40 to drive the water out and finally , when there dry , apply a bit of dialectric grease and plug them back in.  Works every time!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike