accelerator pump arm length?

Started by arthurdent510, February 25, 2009, 09:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arthurdent510

Ok, so trying to track down my stumble issues...  I do have the updated '82 carbs, but the pump arm wasn't put on with locktite, and it freely turns.  The update manual says 10 turns out from where it was, but doesn't give a total length....  anyone know what this is, or can measure theirs?

Night Vision

mine was 55mm stock and I turned it out to 60mm
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

I'd warm the bike totally up, then monkey with it. Adjust it one way or the other and dial in exactly how much you need, it wont be stock because the engine isnt brand new.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

arthurdent510

Thanks for the responses.  I measured it and it's set at 60mm right now, so I'm going to leave it for now.  I think I'm going to wait till I get a proper airbox flapper put in before I start changing too much, just wanted to make sure that it was in the right area to what was recommended.  Thanks!

inanecathode

Right off idle performance is actually more about air velocity and venturi vacuum than accelerator pump dose. If the dose is too lean yes it will stumble, and if its way way way too rich it will stumble, but the accelerator pump is more of a coarse adjustment to the amount of fuel the engine WANTS not necessarily what it needs. You can fudge it one way or the other pretty heavily without having much of an effect.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Lucky

max length should be 60 mm from the bend
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black