News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Hello AKVision

Started by QBS, March 01, 2009, 10:34:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

QBS

Welcome to the Group.  My family and I were in AK, including Ketchikan, last July via the MS Westerdam.  I'm sure you're familiar with that ship.  By necessity we weren't able see nearly enough of your incredible state.  We fell in love with AK.  Returning at length is high on our "bucket list".

I have owned my '83 since '84 and put many an adventurous mile on the odometer.  Its' immediate predecessor was an R60/5 equipped with a full Avon fairing, and Wixom bags and top box.  I owned it for 10 years and about 70k miles, many of them off asphalt.  When the '83 Vs came out I was smitten by it and the /5 had to go.

What I really wanted was an R100rs.  You a are quite right regarding how similar the V is to BMW's of the time, most especially the R100rs.  That bike had been my dream for a long time, and still is.  If I could have afforded it, I would definitely have bought the rs.  However, the V was several thousand of dollars cheaper and, as it turns out, a very worthy substitute.

The '83 V is uncanny in the way that it sits and performs like an rs.  Like the rs, it will cruise all day at the speed of your choosing, with the rs seeming much less stressed over 80 mph.  The rs also has about 10mph more top end, but I strongly suspect the V would easily win the quarter mile drag race. Not bad when factoring in the 45% advantage the rs has in discplacement. Like the rs, the V has excellent low end torque, even as low as the 2k to 3k rpm range.  The rs would probably win the fairing protection comparison.  However, the V fairing is still very functional, especially so when you consider the lower air vents that the rs doesn't have.

The V wins the off asphalt prize with its' smaller mass.  All of my off asphalt adventures have been with the V fully loaded with camping gear; tent, sleeping bag, et. al., the whole enchilada, but no bags.  I've had it on rocky mountain roads, deep in numerous National Forests, and down hundreds of miles of improved dirt and gravel roads.  Never been stuck, stopped or disappointed.

I used to have access to a cabin in the Texas Hill Country. Getting to it required one no bridge, low water creek crossing, and traversing a mile of unimproved dirt/cow trail private ranch road.  Went to the cabin twice a year for 15 years and always made it through without incident, in spite of a hurricane in 2000 that made the creek impassable, stranding me on the cabin side of the creek.  This required implementation of a never before traveled Plan B exit route in the rain, through a soaked and muddy cow pasture, and down a slick and steeply angled 150' embankment.  Made it through without a scratch, really.  Now get this,..... my very good friend and long time riding partner that owned the cabin, accompanied me on every visit and many thousands of miles....on his '83 V that was only 600 serial numbers newer than mine.

In final comparison, I would say that the R100rs is the better/more comfortable high speed, long distance missill, but the '83 V is a close match in those matters and much more versatile in all other ways.  Comparing overall performance and function, dollar for dollar, The V wins with no contest.  It truly does many things very well.

AKVision, regarding your Denver based V:  It appears to be an '82 with a lot of '83 bits attached.  With its' very low milage, I suspect that it needs the usual V upgrades.  Consider changing the starter motor oil seal out to a spring lip design ASAP, certainly before 10k miles.  It's a cheap and easy fix.

Same goes for reattaching the starter motor clutch, with your sons' apparent expertise, he shouldn't too challenged.  This needs to be done by about 20k to 22k miles.  When the engine begins to sound like its got a bad rod, stick the starter clutch back on.  Beware.  Procrastination will be expensive.

Install an in line fuel filter yesterday.

Clean all the electrical connections.  If the bike still has a serviceable OEM fuse box, definitely render the fuse contact side of each fuse holder prong bright and shiny.  Think nail with sand paper wrapped around it.  Then lightly coat the insides of the prongs with grease.  Your OEM fuse holder will last forever.  Mine is OEM.  Also, hard wire or clean and lightly grease the connection between the stator and the reg/rec.  Do this ASAP.

Cheers, QBS

PS:  When planning your Southwest Tour, consider the Texas trans Pecos region, aka the Big Bend area encompassing Brewster and Pecos counties.  Vs do real well there.

akvision

Q!
Been following you threads since the earliest posts.

Thanks for the response and backround.  The bike I had in 1976 to 1979 was the collectable R90S  Orange /Silver it was the predessor to to machine that you discussed.  DelOrto Twin Pumper Carbs and no flat spots.  Once moving the Kaw900 could only stay with it on the straights.  Loads of fun.  I toured it to Ketchikan in 1978 by way if BC and the ferry system.

My son and I are planning the big one in May 2010 from Haines Ak to Whitehorse to the Cassiar Highway in central BC  Highway 37 off of 16 from Prince George to Prince Rupert.  Real wilderness...want to come along.  May have to carry extra gas as some spaces are long one absent gas stations and long on wild life and scenery.

We are working on the issues mentioned and will have them all covered before this trip.  I am working on putting together a classic 1960 BMW R50/2 here in Ketchikan.  I think I will swap it with the V.  Bring the V here and move the Beemer to Denver.  A long term thought.

rpaw has installed the inline filter. 

dinner is calling later. thanks
akvision
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

akvision

Q! 
to contiue

I know the all the ships as we are locally involve in the sail fleet.  Anyway, you have experienced the "inside passage"  you motored right by my house.  Check it out on the loc member map.  You can see that Ketchikan has about  30 minutes of road.  That is why I have been off a bike for some time.  I rode my sons Buell and that was the first ride since 1980.  That is an absence of about 28 years.

I sail a race boat, am fit and ski all winter so my reflexes are slower but not dead.  I am intererested in comfortable cruising on and old sport tourer.  I think the V is just right.  Your analysis of the R100S and the V is timely and if it is close to the R90S most likely right on.

I am like a little kid with a new toy...I just want to ride it.  The V was a serendipidous surprize.  Like it was meant to be there for me.
I was meant to find this group.

Consider that ride with us.  My kid is going to pound his butt on a xb9r.  We will see if he adds fenders and a fairing...

akvision
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

Quote from: QBS on March 01, 2009, 10:34:55 PM
..Same goes for reattaching the starter motor clutch, with your sons' apparent expertise, he shouldn't too challenged.  This needs to be done by about 20k to 22k miles.  When the engine begins to sound like its got a bad rod, stick the starter clutch back on.  Beware.  Procrastination will be expensive.

hell, back to the garage...
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Tiger

Quote from: rhpaw on March 03, 2009, 02:27:06 AM
Quote from: QBS on March 01, 2009, 10:34:55 PM
..Same goes for reattaching the starter motor clutch, with your sons' apparent expertise, he shouldn't too challenged.  This needs to be done by about 20k to 22k miles.  When the engine begins to sound like its got a bad rod, stick the starter clutch back on.  Beware.  Procrastination will be expensive.

hell, back to the garage...

:) Ah, but only for an hour or so...I did three in 2008. Two had fractured starter clutches because they had been left to long before being fixed :o.
You will need a puller for the flywheel, a left side engine cover gasket and three M8 x 16mm or 20mm socket head cap screws, (they will need to be cut back)...and draw a rough picture of the left side cover on a piece of cardboard, punch holes in it for the soc hd screws that you remove, so they go back into the right holes on rebuild...you will find several threads, some with pictures, here on the ROV to help you ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!