News:

Main Menu

Whats not available

Started by Rick G, March 03, 2009, 02:41:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rick G

Well ,I have bad news. I tried to order a windshield for my '83 style fairing , from Clearview and they informed me that the pattern wore out and they no longer provide them, for the Vision.
The link to Gustafsen plastics doesn't work . It was on AOL and the cancelled all that and dumped everything, (pissing a lot of people off)  
May be some of you have the address or phone number for Gustafsen , so I can reach them, An internet search led me nowhare. If any one has better luck, please post it here..
Maybe Ron can update the links , when he has time.

On the subject of availability , I just got my  Dennis Kirk catalog and the suitable tyre list is reduced , especially in less expensive tyres.They have Metzler lasertec 100/90-18 fronts and 120/90-18s and Marathon 880's  in 100/90 and 110/90 .  I didn't look at Dunlops, as they suck!.
Avon Roadriders  were listed in 10/90, 100/80 and 110/90 in the universal front or rear type.
Bridgestone has battle axe BT 45's and my favorite  S11 Spitfires.
I wont use IRC's . There are Kendas , which wear like iron, but have little grip.

Skinny 18 inch tyres are getting fewer all the time. I wish there were 17 inch wheels that would bolt on.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

davidpope

Rick G

Thanks David, They still make a nice selection of Vision windshields. I'll order one tomorrow. Their less expensive than Clearview too!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

rhpaw

More and more things become unavailable.. gotta love it.
Really makes you reconsider that "oh, I don't need THAT, I'll buy it next year when it fails.."

I have the same problem with some of my cars. Turn around and find more crap NLA.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Rick G

I just ordered a "spoiler"  windshield  2" over in Dark Smoke.   109.00 plus the drill bit and black nylon screws.  He says he will make Vision windshields as long as anyone asks!
The ase at Bikescreen.com  or Bikescreen .net   and the phone number is 888 824-3443.
Rick G

YellowJacket!

Done business with them twice and would recommend them again and again.  Good company and communication as well as value.  Hopefully there is enough demand for them to keep the molds.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

motoracer8

I have several old British bikes, and it is much easyer to get parts for them than 70's and 80's Japanese bikes. If you plan on keeping your Vision, when you come across new or good used parts, you should snag some of them, as the parts supply is getting thinner.

Ken G.
83 Vision and 11 others, Japanese, German and British

Walt_M.

The reason for that is old Brit bikes got updated about every 50 yrs. Guess that might be why they went out of business. That is kind of mean but unfortunately true.
Whale oil beef hooked!

motoracer8

Walt, point taken, but not intirely true, the Brits were alittle better than that. But Yamaha is still in business, and there are machines just 10 years old you can't get some parts for. Some newer than that. Change just for change sake is sometimes not good.

Another site that I visit one of the guys hates the older machines, and buys a new bike every two or three years, and could care less about parts availabity as he will move on, many people are like that and thats cool it keeps the manufactures in business.  I keep motorcycles just alittle longer than that, mabe 10 years or more as I don't have to have the latest canyon rocket that needs a computer to keep it running.

Ken G.

Walt_M.

Sorry Ken but I just couldn't poking a little fun at our brothers across the pond. But it has been said that England is a nation of tinkerers and their machines reflect that. What surprises me is that there aren't more Visions over there, it would seem ideal.
They have adopted the TDM850/900 though, one of which I also own. They have a website, Carpe TDM which is amusing and helpful.
Whale oil beef hooked!

motoracer8

Walt, yeah I know, I have taken alittle heat over the years for defending my old British relics. I have a 75 Norton MKIII that I bought new in 77, it now has 72,000 miles on it, no it has not been 100% trouble free, but it has never left me stranded, the lights work, has never fried a generator stator, and allways starts even with stale gas. And allmost every part to keep it running is still available.

As for the Visions, they were sold through 85 in Europe. I have gotten parts not available here from a Yamaha dealer in London.

Several years ago, myself on my Norton, and two other friends, one on a Harley, and the other on a BMW, took off for Yellowstone from California, we were out for ten days and several thousand miles, and guess what M/C had the probblems, yep is was the BMW, cooked it's generator, fortunely we found a dealer in Montana that that could fix it. The Norton, and the Harley never missed a beat the entire trip.

Ken G.