Feels like a flat/rear end kind of slides

Started by davidpope, March 11, 2009, 01:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: roro on March 13, 2009, 03:03:04 AM
That gap is not an illusion, it's exactly how it should be.  The part that goes left-right wraps around the arms and is welded top and bottom, but not all the way around.  The part that we see in this photo is identical on mine, except without quite so much rust. ;)

:) By Illusion, I meant that it looks like its broken but its not, (and I think that is what xswheels meant too).

The weld doesn't go all the way round and therefore leaves a gap at this point, as seen in the picture.

I think what makes it seem worse, is the rusted areas that need to be cleaned and touched up... ;)

Being your first bike David, you have jumped in at the deep end and not taken the easy route!!! Congrats buddy, you will reap the benefits and enjoy your endeavours...We will help you through all this... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

davidpope

Got a chance to take a couple more pictures of the swingarm area from some different angles. Maybe these will assist in determining if I have a swingarm problem.

Put the bike on the side stand and pulled the rear wheel back and forth again. Seems firm and not loose. Looked at the tire and I dont see and kind of flat spot. I do have a cotter pin going through the side with the castle nut on it, just not the other side of the axle. What would be the best way to remove the rust from the rear axle section without risking damageing the axle or other componets? Thanks for all the help.

davidpope

If I pull UP on the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand should it move at all? I get a little bit of movement when I do this. Also does anyone have an idea on how I could check to make sure my rim's not bent? It spends fine but figured there has to be a better way to check. Figure it cant hurt to check. Thought about zip tieing a sharpie to the swingarm frame and spinning the wheel to see if it marks anywhere but this seems like it could yeild questionable results. Also is there anyway to check to see if maybe the wheel is not balanced properly? Could one of these scenerios cause my sympthoms?

xswheels

Those are good photographs and it eliminates the illusion of a broken swing arm. Rest assured you do not have a cracked/broken swing arm.

Brian Moffet

Quote from: davidpope on March 13, 2009, 02:17:36 PM
If I pull UP on the rear wheel with the bike on the center stand should it move at all?
Yes, that should be appropriate to the shock. If the wheel moves but the suspension does not, then you have a problem. 

xswheels

I agree,if you pull up on the wheel, yes there will be movement. The shock (which is attached to the swing arm) is compressing  when you move the wheel upward. This assimilates riding.
Your sharpie method will work, but instead secure the sharpie (or a dial gauge) to a mechanics stool or something you can move close to the rim and spin the wheel. it is not likely you will see much deflection in a cast wheel. This problem is more prevalent on a spoked wheel. Also check for up and down movement using the same method. As far as tire balancing, check to see if a previous balancing weight has fallen off. The only way to balance a wheel is to remove it and spin it in a balancer. You can however buy balancing beads and insert them in the stem with the wheel attached.

davidpope

I feel much better that the possibility of a braoken swing arm is starting to reside.

BMoffet wrote: "If the wheel moves but the suspension does not, then you have a problem."
How do I check this and what would the problem be?

xswheels

Quote from: davidpope on March 13, 2009, 01:53:42 PM
What would be the best way to remove the rust from the rear axle section without risking damageing the axle or other componets? Thanks for all the help.

Get a small angle grinder and a knurled wire cup and blast all that rust to smithereens. Follow that up with Mexican chrome (brush on silver paint). Oh yeah, change the pinch bolt at the rear of the swing arm. If you don't have an angle grinder then this is your lucky Friday the thirteenth. Harbor Freight Tools is having a parking lot sale and I seen one in the flyer for $9. You can blast that spacer between the swing arm and wheel hub. You won't harm the axle, it is inside the spacer.

xswheels

Quote from: davidpope on March 13, 2009, 03:53:20 PM
I feel much better that the possibility of a braoken swing arm is starting to reside.

BMoffet wrote: "If the wheel moves but the suspension does not, then you have a problem."
How do I check this and what would the problem be?

If you look at it from the point of view that every time your wheel moves up or down, the spring in your shock moves simultaneously. So if your wheel moves and your spring doesn't, that would mean there is excessive free play/fault in the parts between the spring and the wheel, example wheel bearings; swing arm bushings, shock bushings, broken mount. Don't worry it doesn't sound like you have this problem.

davidpope

Should I be able to see this if I raise my seat and remove the little tray near the tank and then play with the wheel and see if the spring surrounding the shock moves?

Brian Moffet

Not sure, but I think so.  You'll be looking for the rear portion of the shock to move.  The photo below shows the rear portion of the shock after it comes through the rear wheel "fender".  I believe this is at maximum extension.  It's where you would adjust the spring tension on the shock.

If you lift the wheel and the back part of the shock doesn't move, you've got some serious play that you need to deal with

davidpope

Rear portion of the shock being the part I can see without removing the tank correct? I'll check this when I get off work or in the morning if it's to dark outside. How much, or many wheel weights do you have on your tires out of curiousity?

Brian Moffet

firstone

Just looking at this thread and I have a very simple question.  When you get on the bike and look at the rear wheel does it seem underinflated?  Sometimes gages go bad, and the simple answer may indeed be low tire pressure.

Tiger

Quote from: davidpope on March 13, 2009, 05:46:32 PM
How much, or many wheel weights do you have on your tires out of curiosity?

:) This will differ from bike to bike, wheel(s), tire(s), etc...no two will be exactly alike. If you can't do it yourself, take the wheels off and take them into a shop for balancing buddy.

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Rick G

Most modern tyres, which have the yellow dot  or other mark , which is aligned with the valve stem don't seem to require any balancing. Modern tyres seem to be more accurately manufactured.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

davidpope

Stopped by AutoZone and picked up a new tire guage. Figured it was about time I got one a little nicer then the old pin style one I've been using and Firstone had a good point. Got a new reading on the tires. 29 front and 32 rear.

I asked about the wheel weights because it looks like I have alot on both sides of my rear wheel. I also only have weights on one side of my front wheel.

If I lift the seat and remove the little tool tray behind the gas tank I can see part of the shock. If I pull up on the rear wheel should this section move. If I pull up on the rear wheel I dont see anything move.

inanecathode

You might not be able to move the rear end enough with just your arms and it on the center stand. I'd get a broom handle in the wheel or something similar and then try to wiggle it. Theres alot of lateral force on the swingarm when you're riding, and i dont think you'd produce enough pressure with your hands to get it to move.

I'd also try going to the side of the wheel and trying to rock it top and bottom, like trying to rotate it perpendicular to the rotation it normally has.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

kwells

Don't rule out front end play just because it seems like the rear.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

jefferson

One other thing to check is the removeable frame section. Check the 4 bolts and make sure they are all tight. I would imagine that the extra flex from those bolts being loose would do weird things..

Jeff