My fun on this nice warm day

Started by Blake, March 29, 2009, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blake

The past couple week's i've been working on the engine for my caddy, but with it being near 70 today I decided to take a crack at the vision.  Helped my neighbor earlier in the day fix his bike, and now I can't wait to get back on the vision.

Took the head/cylinder off the rear.  After that, here's how i spent a couple hours(most of it was sitting and looking).  LOTS more left to do.. this was just to fiddle around today and inspect it all.

Before:

before:

Results of today:

beginning of the cleanup of the chamber.  Really not much to do-just knocking down/radiusing a few areas, and then i'll polish it. 

started unshrouding the valves. needs a little more smoothing/blending.

finally messed around with an exhaust port a bit at the end.  just tried to clean it up a bit so i could see in there better.

Interesting observation with the exhaust port: the outlet is actually oval and not completely round.   Later this week i'll soak the head in some kerosene to clean it up and then take a mold of the ports to get some measurements.  That exhaust port looks really weird to me.  After I get a mold I'll be more able to tell if its actually restrictive or not.  I can almost tell the exhaust ports are going to get some semi-major changes.  I didn't get much done today as my valve spring remover wouldn't work and I didn't want to get close to the valves.

few other goodies in the works.. but i figured i'd let a bit out
"At first it's like a new pair of underware... Frustrating and constrictive.  But then, it kind of grows on you..."

Kid Jedi

Friendly reminder:
careful not to polish the intake or exhaust ports, it will reduce turbulence of the gasses and lead to a poorer atomization of fuel/ poor cylinder evacuation on the exhaust stroke loosing up to a full pony.

Also a trick you probably already know: To test the valves spray some carb cleaner on the inside top of the valve, and if it seeps through then you should probably lap the valves.

Also, NAPA AUTOPARTS brand gasket remover works GREAT at cleaning up gaskets and carbon deposits with out altering the shape of the head, spray on wait 10 min wipe off.

And a major favor:
I am making my bike fuel injection, i need to know the total width of the two intake valves so i can select the correct pitch fuel injectors. outide edge of one valve to the outside of the other would be GREATLY appreciated meaning i can save taking off the head till I am ready to make my custom short skirt, 2 ring piston.

If you are willing to send me a mold of the exhaust i can take it to my performance engine guru and pick his brain about what improvement can be easily made.

Why are you removing the shroud on the valves? modern ('00 on) race bike have a shroud around each of the valves, so it must serve some purpose, I will do more research tomorrow to make sure i am not just putting my foot in my mouth.

Looks like fun Blake wish I was there!
Loves to over think things.