will not go into neutral

Started by ThunderKingBen, April 01, 2009, 01:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThunderKingBen

I have had my 82 for about a year and I have only been able to ride her for about 8 hours not my choice it the bike. I replaced the stator because mine was bad and now the bike wont go in to neutral and first gear rides like 4th, 2nd works but i did not really have room to check any more gears. Dose anybody have an idea of what could be wrong?

kwells

could your shifter be misaligned?
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

ThunderKingBen

i don't think it has to do with the shifter lever.

Tiger

:) Hi and welcome to your new and extended family... 8) NO problem is to big or small that hasn't been fixed here before!!! Feel free to ask as many questions as you like...

Question...Has this just happened since you replaced the stator... :-\

If so, how did you remove the clutch cable...from the clutch lever on the handle bar or the lever under the motor :-\

Did you replace the gear shift lever in the correct position... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

YellowJacket!

Check your oil level.  After changing the stator, if your oil level is not right you may end up with shifting problems.  Also, check your clutch adjustment.  Do you have the Haynes Manual?

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

ThunderKingBen

thank you. i took the hole bike apart and then put it back together after painting and stuff, and it was working. then i had to replace the stator, i finished the job and rolled it out and had it running. i put it in gear and tried to ride it, then i couldn't get it back into neutral. i was not really sure if i had the right amount of oil in, it looked ok-ish. i removed the clutch from the trany side. i did not think the position of the lever would mater to much but if it dose that could be it i messed with that a lot. the clutch cable is new to

Tiger

:) Where are you located... :-\ Maybe we have someone close to your location that could help you with "hands on" experience... ;)

You require 3 quarts of oil (if you changed the oil filter)...2.8 actually!! but I drop in the three ;) Use motorcycle oil not automotive... ;)

Your clutch cable may need adjustment if you have renewed it and the shifter should be positioned/adjusted correctly...

Do you have a manual...Haynes, Yamaha, etc... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

Night Vision

you removed the clutch?
and now it won't go into gear correctly?
did you get all the plates in right?
do you adjust the rod length etc?

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

ThunderKingBen

I'm located in north west Houston.

i thought oil was oil but 2.8 to 3 ok, were do you get motorcycle oil?

no i don't have any manuals for it. iv just been going off of what i know from working on cars bikes and are a bit different  

ThunderKingBen

i only removed the clutch cable not the clutch. i haven't really broken into the motor, the stator is all i did.

inanecathode

The rod length adjustment on the right side is EXTREMELY sensitive, as in there's maybe a two turn difference between perfect and totally inoperative.
Make sure at your lever you have about 1/16 of an inch of travel, thats if its functioning well.
I've had to tighten the cable way up and ride it around like that until the clutch plates settled down a bit. Sometimes you have to pull the cable way way in until things loosen up a bit in the basket. After things get better you can slack the cable back out to where it should be.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

ThunderKingBen

where dose the oil filter go? :-[

vadasz1

I think this would be an ideal time to purchase one of LUCKY'S DVD on the Vision.  It has all the manuals, from Haynes to the Yamaha ones.  Also some other nice tidbits.

This should be posted as a required item and locked.  Lucky has made the DVD the HOLY BIBLE FOR VISIONS!

Don't work on one with out it.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

ThunderKingBen

thats fine, i will make a note of it but were dose the oil filter go  :'( i mint even have one, i have something i just do know where it is at the moment. it was a cd that i got with the bike.

YellowJacket!

If you got the CD with the bike, it may be one of Lucky's early versions.  It has a copy of the full haynes manual on it.  Lists all the important maintenance items and their locations.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Tiger

Quote from: ThunderKingBen on April 01, 2009, 08:40:51 PM
...were dose the oil filter go  :'( 

:) Right side of the engine, just ahead of the rear brake pedal you will find a round shaped canister held on by three soc' head cap screws...remove the three screws and remove the oil filter housing and ...VOILA!!!...one ugly oil filter ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

ThunderKingBen

I found the oil filter and I found my CD its got a lot things parts numbers a Yamaha book the Hanynes, all kinds of stuff. I'm just having a hard time finding the way my shift lever is supposed to go. Thanks you guy have been a lot of help so far.

Night Vision

the shift lever goes like this:

#12 goes on the "peg" on the footpeg
#17 goes on the splined shifter shaft
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

I'm in NW Houston, near the intersection of the North Loop west, West Loop north, and US 290.  Where do you live in NW Houston?

kwells

QuoteNorth Loop west, West Loop north

You are kidding me right?  That can't really be an intersection!
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com