News:

Main Menu

Stator part 2: the WRECKONING!

Started by Kid Jedi, April 06, 2009, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Quote from: rhpaw on May 12, 2009, 11:40:17 AM
Quote from: akvision on May 11, 2009, 12:49:49 PM... I wanted the Hanz to be perfect so I went with a lot of new stuff and I ended up over buying.

You seem to do that pop.... I have a box full of spare V parts in my garage too.. ;)

Yeah but bmw parts are actually worth something  ;) :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kid Jedi

The bottom line. Don't rebuild your oem stator.  Get one from ricks. it has 1/4in of epoxy over the holder. i got one for ~126 to my hand because I am magical. Its a great unit, with high quality wires and wrap.  So I dropped in the new stator at 11K so lets see how long it lasts.
Loves to over think things.

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 15, 2009, 06:04:02 PM
The bottom line. Don't rebuild your oem stator.  Get one from ricks. it has 1/4in of epoxy over the holder. i got one for ~126 to my hand because I am magical. Its a great unit, with high quality wires and wrap.  So I dropped in the new stator at 11K so lets see how long it lasts.

Just cause you messed your first time rewinding a stator for anything ever, doesnt mean other people shouldnt try, and doesnt mean a personally rewrapped stator is any worse than any other build.

akvision

Tim Parrot, timparrot, TIM PARROT@ exactly less than $100 with a solid guarantee!  How simple does it get?

"Seems like you young guys always want to do it the hard way."  That's what my Dad told me, a long ago, what wisdom.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

My dad once told me " Don't drive what you can't push!.."

Things are sometimes remembered out of context and taken to heart.

(yes, I can even push a vanagon)
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

inanecathode

Re-reading this thread, as i'll be probably rewinding a stator here soon, i think you missed a couple things that could have nuked your stator, kid:

Where you skip the phases around, and where the wire crosses, instead of tucking up the crossover wire you go straight across, that could have been smashed on install. Also, the 'arm pits' of the stator arms are the only parts that arent armored with your paper. Yeah, you got the top and around the diameter but you didnt address the actual corner itself. It may be strong paper, but looking at the pictures it doesnt look like theres any there.

Kid Jedi

I noticed that and redesigned the paper system to be a single piece that wraps around each post and you nip the corners to get it to fold down. Would you like a piece of nomex? It would fit in a simple letter. If you want to do this right you should make a mold of the stator w/o wire and then grind down each arm by about 20% then place the stator back in the mold and fill up each arm with some type of epoxy. so you have a HUGE layer of protection.

inanecathode

Did you use the nomex when you did yours, or just the paper?

I'll take it if you're not using it. Just need a good way to protect the wire from the core.

Kid Jedi

I used a DMD paper rated for 50C lower than the nomex. I never actually made a nomex stator. After I spoke to the guys at ricks, they convinced me to buy on of their awesome ones. pm me a mailing address and I will send out a letter with a few sheets of nomex in it. enough for a stator at least. I have a spare stator core if you want, and you can even use some of my extra wire if you are willing to pay for shipping.

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 27, 2009, 03:44:26 AM
I used a DMD paper rated for 50C lower than the nomex. I never actually made a nomex stator. After I spoke to the guys at ricks, they convinced me to buy on of their awesome ones. pm me a mailing address and I will send out a letter with a few sheets of nomex in it. enough for a stator at least. I have a spare stator core if you want, and you can even use some of my extra wire if you are willing to pay for shipping.

Awesome  8)