Stator part 2: the WRECKONING!

Started by Kid Jedi, April 06, 2009, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supervision

nice job, that paper might be a big help, too
" border="0

Kid Jedi

maby.. i am not so sure. If i could have done it over i would have done the paper a whole different way, having one piece that comes over the top of the post and comes in on the outside edges. That would have been alot better :(
Loves to over think things.

inanecathode

Looks good dude  :D

I'd tighten up some of the coils around the 8 oclock and 5 oclock positions, they look mighty loose ;)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

OK squeezing red rtv in to the stator: messy and stinky as all get

I used red rtv, its rated to ONLY 650F (intermittent) but ultra copper was only 50F more so i didn't see a point. the acetic acid had no effect on a test piece of the wire i dropped in vinegar so i aint worred. pics tommorow.

Did you know that a can of carb clean is just the right size to make a nice stand to goo up a stator?

I bet this stator will last 3K. After winding it I got a good technique down so the first half of the stator is cruddy in my opinion, and the paper could have been done a better way. oh well. this one will be my test stator. maby we should start up an office pool to see how long it will last!  :D

(if inane bets more than 1k I will be impressed)

total cost: 16 bucks.
Time? ~7 hours. if i did it again i could probably cut that in half.

I was talking to my motorcycle guru and we worked out that drilling the rotor bolt should be easy to do. I plan on drillin and tapping the inside of the bolt to install a very small carb jet on the inside of the bold and taking the smallest drill bit i can lay my hands on drilling a 45 degree hole in one of the bold faces (I have got the lathe technology) to hose down that little devil, and with the rotation of the shaft if sould be a pretty cool thing. Does any one have a spare rotor bolt to donate to the cause?  If the test one works (92% chance of success) I will mail it back to ya and you can enjoy an oil cooled stator.

I will post pics of my idea tomorrow when there is nice light to photo in

Kid Jedi

camera is being crappy. i am just gonna put it in with out photo. its red, and goopie looking.  it looks like it was covered in red cake frosting. now, I GOTTA RIDE MY BIKE!

supervision

In about 1968, I worked for, Superior Armature, a local, rewinder.  They had a machine that could hold an armature, and then spin it slowly, two revolutions. the opperator then hit the peddel and it would spin two more turns.  After you had enough wire, for that section, you would release the clamp, rotate to the next post, the wind that section.  It was nice, cause you could control where the wire went, and you could hold tension, cause you were holding the wire with cotton gloves on.  These things, could be wound, in that fashion
" border="0

Kid Jedi

LOL Sitting in a chair, the spool of wire was held between my feet. using by back i was able to control the tension on the wire, now one hand held the armature wile the other manipulated the wire, I foud it was most effective to hold the wire still and maneuver the armature around then trying to snake the wire all over the place. this method took a little loner till I got the hang of it but prevented any rubbing or chafing of the wire wile the armature was wound.

I found that the RTV + stator was too big to fit inside of the rotor. After some quick thinking I cut off all of the insulating paper from the top of each winding using a razor knife, exposing the metal of the armature underneath, this cleaned up the size perfectly and easily.

inanecathode

Soooo, have you run an ohm meter to the phases to make sure you didnt knick any installing the wire ;)

Kid Jedi

yup. i did the ohm meter check the whole way, but its REALLY easy to tell if you nicked something. I justtook my time and did it perfect. I nicked a wire only once. I was really disappointed, I know I can do better than that, so I removed that whole phase  and used a completely new piece of wire. My vision deserves the best I can give.

funkamongus

there ya go.. a man after my own heart!! Im betting 3700 miles.. just pulled it out of the air... i HOPE it goes 37,000 miles.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Kid Jedi

aaaand the bike isn't charging. >:( >:( >:( >:( Gorammit! well time to start at square one, but we know for a fact the stator was bunk. I am so tempted to walk to my parts bins and pull out one of my spare charging systems. I have one off of a 82 CB750 K and XS1100 and a few others that would just drop in...   >:( >:( >:(

Back to square one  ;D

funkamongus

damn, I had high hopes for it too!!!
I own:

inanecathode

I thought the 82 cb750 uses a much deeper external stator and an active internal rotor. Is the stator putting out any volts at all or are you just checking the battery voltage?

Kid Jedi

I just made a quick batt check before I turned in for the night. After assembly there was a wire that got nicked by the stator mounting screw. small paper gasket later and all was fixed. one phase was putting out 60v at 3.7k rpm, will check the other 2 tomorrow. I will test the R/R tomorrow to make sure it is working i have a hunch it is being an Ass-Hat. I think i am gonna get a whole bunch of gasket paper and another template from Yamaha and cut like 5 more stator gaskets in the near future. Since I use yama/honda bond 4 with each installation I think I can get away with generic paper.

funkamongus

Hey Kid,, can I get a copy of the side cover gasket?? just tracing it on cardboard or something would be fine.. I thought I had one coming but it seems to have been lost in transit or something,, bottom line, I dont have one. good luck with the stator,, Id really like to roll my own when mine dies too... Ill be hitting you up for info if thats ok...
I own:

Kid Jedi

i use rtv. no mo gasket for me. also: the motor winding guys lied to me. the paper MELTED OFF! it blistered and turned to about fiberglass and cut the insulation the the wires >:( >:( >:( >:( Monday  am gonna rip those guys a new asshole. The wire held up great and the rtv  worked. but the paper failed... the stator ran at about 140C and the wire insulation was perfectly happy.

Of course it was my first time riding my bike in over a month. I missed how well my vision handles at 95. I knew there was a reason I work so damned hard on her.  ;D

It was so funny. this guy on a honda cbr 600 wanted to race me. I walked away from him, till we hit 45.

Finally getting around to cleaning the carbs for the first time ever. I will do that this weekend to kill time before the motor winding shop opens Monday.

But i will nail this stator...  ::)

funkamongus

as for my earlier post, I sucked it up and bought a gasket,, I needed brake bolts anyway so I added it in...  and stator, you only fail, when you give up, I wish you luck!! work out all the details and I'll be looking to do the same.. thank you for working it out first!!!
I own:

Kid Jedi

funk you are welcome to call me for stuff. I am not always near the computer!

funkamongus

Thanx Bro!! When I call, it'll be to go for a ride!!!  Im almost always near the computer.. sad really! You holler anytime youre coming up!! We should have a ride/bar-b-que this summer... in fact, one better, we should get a ride together for everyone around here too!! Im gonna try to go to Arizona next month for a ride with the guys, but THIS is some of the best riding in the world!! 
I own:

Rick G

I would think that some kind of teflon wrap would stand up to the heat ?? must be something out there.
Treated paper doesn't impress me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike