News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Stator part 2: the WRECKONING!

Started by Kid Jedi, April 06, 2009, 02:10:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

inanecathode

Here i was thinking yamaha could have just put 50 cents worth of extra materials to the stator assembly and would have nailed the stator problem for good but didnt cause they're the evil empire.
Dang, we were so close.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

I just thought that you should know that you are and Arse sometimes  ;D
Loves to over think things.

funkamongus

gotta admit he's funny though!! lol..
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on April 25, 2009, 07:44:13 PM
I just thought that you should know that you are and Arse sometimes  ;D

You love me and you know it  :D

Rick G

Love may be too strong of a word, tolerate comes to mind though. ;) ;) :) :) :) :) :) :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

vadasz1

Tolerate like a mother-in-law.   8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Kid Jedi

I go drinking with my mother-in-law! Hey Inane, Wanna have a few beers and talk shit about thermodynamics?  ;D

Kid Jedi

got some new winding paper. Its .015 nomex paper by dupont.

heres the specs.

DuPont(TM) Nomex®

Inherent dielectric Strength

In densified form, Nomex® aramid products withstand short-term electrical stresses of 450 to 1000 V/mil (18 to 40 kV/mm) depending on product type and thickness, with no need for further treatment with varnishes or resins.
(maby I CAN make a 40KV charging system now!)
Mechanical Toughness

Densified Nomex® products are strong, resilient and (in the thinner grades) flexible, with good resistance to tearing and abrasion.

Thermal Stability

Temperatures up to 200°C (390°F) have little or no effect on the electrical and mechanical properties of Nomex® products, and useful values are retained at considerably higher temperatures. Furthermore, these useful properties are maintained for at least 10 years of continuous exposure at 220°C (430°F).

Chemical Compatibility

Nomex® is essentially unaffected by most solvents, and is unusually resistant to attack by acids and alkalies. It is compatible with all classes of varnishes and adhesives, transformer fluids, lubricating oils, and refrigerants. Since Nomex® products are not digestible, they are not attacked by insects, fungi or molds.

(damn cant eat it!)

Cryogenic Capabilities

Nomex® has found acceptance in a variety of cryogenic applications due to its unique polymeric structure. At the boiling point of nitrogen (77 0K), Nomex® Type 410 paper as well as Type 993 and Type 994 pressboard have tensile strengths in excess of room temperature values.
(Maby i can cryogenicly freeze my motorcycle....)

Moisture Insensitivity

In equilibrium at 95 percent relative humidity densified Nomex® papers and pressboards maintain 90 percent of their bone-dry dielectric strength while many mechanical properties are actually improved.

Radiation Resistant

Nomex® is essentially unaffected by 800 megarads of ionizing radiation (which causes polyester laminates to crumble), and still retains useful mechanical and electrical properties after eight times this exposure.

(so if i bombard my stator with gamma radiation it Wont turn in to the hulk?  :'( )

funkamongus

I own:

Kid Jedi

well i am one of the rare people who are smart enough to fix something, but not smart enough to know when i should just buy a new one!

will have a new wrap soon.

funkamongus

so, what would the cost be for these materials, roughly? and tell me about it,, Im not rare, im just stupid,, I started polishing the aluminum on one of my bikes and made a clean spot.... now my fingers hurt.
I own:

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on April 27, 2009, 01:43:30 PM
I go drinking with my mother-in-law! Hey Inane, Wanna have a few beers and talk shit about thermodynamics?  ;D

Suuuuuuuure

stupid thermodynamics!

Walt_M.

Didn't see anything about mechanical strength/vibration resistance.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kid Jedi

well the cost is still about 20 bucks to re wrap this includes, paper, RTV, wire and beer.

inanecathode

Quote from: Walt_M. on April 28, 2009, 10:45:18 AM
Didn't see anything about mechanical strength/vibration resistance.

It says its strong, resilient and resists abrasion and tearing. Whatever that means :O

Kid Jedi

funkamongus

20 is a pretty sweet deal even if it takes a few hours.
I own:

Kid Jedi

My motorcycle guru did some research, it turns out that almost every bike that Yamaha made after ours had a cooling system on the stator, be it oil or water! I guess we were the stator guinea pigs!

inanecathode

Uhhhh, i'd like to see a water cooled stator  ???

Unless what he means by 'water cooling' is just cause a water passage runs somewhat close to the flywheel cover :o

Kid Jedi

well water cooled ones are just located near the coolant pump, or have a water passage make a quick detour near the stator.