News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

I WIN!!!!She runs like a champ!!

Started by funkamongus, April 07, 2009, 07:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Moffet

Hey, I could be wrong, I don't think I've ever heard anyone say it  ;)

Rick G

Any gasket material will work , I used 3 bond , same as Yamabond #4 or Honda bond #4  I think Toyota uses it too. It will seal and still flex a bit.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

thanx! Used napa grey gasket material and red RTV,, weird,, they (rtv's) all say not recommended for exposure to gas. Even the red.. All I found in Tahoe was a crappy powered nozzle version... sucked,, 16 plus too... Dont buy it.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Rick G

I've said this until I'm blue in the face , RTV does not belong in contact with gas or oil!!!! It is great for reapplying Vision or Yamaha emblems tho.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

funkamongus

so, yamabond? Ive done it this time, so, I fully expect to have to do it again!! What Ill need to do is go to a REAL town and look for the stuff I need for next time,, so, for in the future, yamabond is ok for gas contact?
I own:

inanecathode

Quote from: Rick G on April 10, 2009, 04:00:44 PM
I've said this until I'm blue in the face , RTV does not belong in contact with gas or oil!!!! It is great for reapplying Vision or Yamaha emblems tho.

This is ground breaking news for permatex/loctite, i think you should see if they'll hire you on as a consultant it'll be news to them grey/red rtv isnt oil or gas safe  :D :o

I think you're thinking of black rtv adhesive, its only good for emblems and weather stripping. Every other product permatex makes is safe with gas and oil (have to recheck on gas but they're all oil safe).

And rick, guess who makes yamabond, and what yamabond actually is? Thats right, permatex RTV repackaged for the manufacturer. Ford does the same thing, they call it motorcraft sealant something something, same with GM.

PS Something thats cool to know. RTV stands for Room Temperature Vulcanizing  ;D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

funkamongus

It says on the bottle,, not recommended for use on head gasket or anything exposed to gas.. Im paraphrasing of course.. I used it, anyway! dont get me wrong!! I think its just "legal speak" for "use at your own risk" (e.g. we arent responsible for your dumb ass!!)........ I could use a job!! permatex??? anyone???   lol   Please???!?!?!?!?!
I own:

inanecathode

I wouldnt be worried about vapors, it's likely referring to submersion like filling holes in a gas tank, or carb bowl gaskets.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

Inane , your confused Yamabond , hondabond  and toyota.s bond , are made by three bond . and more resemble paint that RTV  . I have encountered RTV  that has been in contact with oil and gas , its slimey and snotty.
I was informed the meaning of RTV in 1971.  Its been around a while.
Rick G