Acetone vs Chem Dip

Started by akvision, April 16, 2009, 03:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

akvision

I went to the local auto parts store and asked about Carb clean "chem dip".  The Clerk said "We will have some when the next barge when it comes on Monday.   It's about $50 a gallon."    Whew, Me thinks!    So, I look at the ingredients on the spray carb cleaner.
It is mostly, acetone, and this and that.  Thinners and solvents! 

So, I ask will just plain acetone do the job?  Any thoughts?

1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

Acetone wont do it all. I recommend somehting with  Xylene and methyl ethyl ketone (AKA Butanone)
Loves to over think things.

vadasz1

I dipped my spare carb set ina pail of Xylene.  Kept in there for about 20 minutes and then blew them off with compressed air.  Also cleaned the passages with electrical wire dipped in Xylene and then blew clean.

Real stinky stuff, so don't do it anywhere inside the house.  Best done outdoors.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kwells

I think that stuff (MEK) and acetone may be the only thing more toxic on earth.  Where a respirator or gas mask.

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Kid Jedi

I got one of those gas masks! I don't recommend using a wire on any of the passages, the scratches change volume and way that gas and fuel flow through the Carb

vadasz1

The wire is a regular copper electrical multistranded wire.  You can use it safely as it won't mar the inside of the passages.
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

Kid Jedi

That fact still doesn't keep my toes from curling up when I read that!  :'(

I come from a different school of thought.  I use cans'o Carb clean, qutips, air nozzles, carb dip, and fishing line on all of my carbs.

But hey Each is own!
;D

akvision

What a bunch of Vizards! 
Thanks guys, I think I have the correct mix and it sure as ship will not cost $50 bucks plus tax.

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

inanecathode

Quote from: kwells on April 16, 2009, 01:58:28 PM
I think that stuff (MEK) and acetone may be the only thing more toxic on earth.  Where a respirator or gas mask.

I remember using that stuff. I got contact high just being in the same building.

Stuff sticks into your clothes too, i have a pair of pants that still smells like that stuff and i didnt even get any on me, just what was in the air.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

I've been using multi strand copper wire , to clean plugged up jets and passages for 48 years , no problem yet ! The copper is too soft to damage anything.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kid Jedi

ah i was imaging  stranded 10 awg for some reason :D

Rick G

It depends on the opening I'm trying to clear. I use a wide variety of multi strand wire . Different wires have more or less strands , depending on the load the wire was designed to carry. So I have a selection in my tool box.
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

I use the most abrasive bailing wire i can, the kind thats extruded really rough, then i thread it through the jet and saw it back and forth with alot of pressure each way i can go like steel floss :)

Rick G

Steel wire scares me , I've used brass wire from the hobby shop , but copper is right here.
Rick G

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on April 17, 2009, 01:27:53 PM
I use the most abrasive bailing wire i can, the kind that's extruded really rough, then i thread it through the jet and saw it back and forth with alot of pressure each way i can go like steel floss :)

:-\ Hmmmmm, Wots this I smell...Dogs...no!...Donkeys...no!, I know what it is...BULL SHIT from inane!!! LOL :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

akvision

just like the acetone, loads of fumes....to much can make your head spin.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

inanecathode

Quote from: Tiger on April 17, 2009, 06:11:35 PM
Quote from: inanecathode on April 17, 2009, 01:27:53 PM
I use the most abrasive bailing wire i can, the kind that's extruded really rough, then i thread it through the jet and saw it back and forth with alot of pressure each way i can go like steel floss :)

:-\ Hmmmmm, Wots this I smell...Dogs...no!...Donkeys...no!, I know what it is...BULL SHIT from inane!!! LOL :D :D

8).......TIGER....... 8)

:D

It's been actually quite a long time since i've had to clean a carb.

Kid Jedi

there ya go inane, now ya did it. tommorow your carb is going to shit the bed. way to piss of the gremlins!

Night Vision

I used guitar strings... that was the only way I could get in tune.........

get it?  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

inanecathode

Quote from: Night Vision on April 17, 2009, 10:51:49 PM
I used guitar strings... that was the only way I could get in tune.........

get it?  ;)

Doh! ><

I use fuel filters, and i run the bike occasionally. Thats why they dont get re-dirty.