News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Cam chain dilema

Started by dpanijan, May 17, 2004, 01:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpanijan

SO, I have Suzuki GM250 cam chain, 112 elements, prepared tool and courage for replacing it and gues what ? I look closely on photos in Haynes manuals and count 5 (6) lamels on each chain element and my new chain have 4 (5) elemenets.
I haven't remove valve cover yet (plan to do it tomorrow), but i am wondering is it possible that new chain elements are thicker an the whole chain thickness is the same as original, or I will pray salesman to take back chain and replace it...
What do you think ? Humber ?

--
Damir

Humber

don't know but that evidently sucks...., I have an opened engine in my garage and will have to check it out....

My parts catalogue said the same chains for Vision and for GN250, I am almost sure that the chains u have are VERSAH chains, which is a good make.

Try to measure the thicnkess of each lamel, maybe they are thicker than OEM ones thus provide the same efficiency???
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

It is not good. Salesman checked every year GN250 and it is one lamel less (4-5) than Vision chain (5-6 lamels). Fortunatelly, they take chain back and give me money, but don't have chain for me.
I will try one more place tomorrow.

Humber, how much did you say is cam-chain in Poland ? Maybe I will ask you a favor...   :)
--
Damir

Humber

I believe that the number of lamels is not really important untill the thickness of the chain is the same.

Probably your chain has thicker lamels instead of using severar thinner ones.... I told u to measure it...

OK, in Poland?? heh.... What was the make of your chains??? VERSAH???? I can buy VERSAH chains here the price not important at the moment, but how I can be sure that those chains they will send me have 4 or 5 lamels...

No cash refund possible, and I doubt anywane gives a shit about checking it before sending.....

So??
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

Forgot to say, I removed valve cover and old chain IS thicker than a new one.
I will probably order original chain from Yamaha dealer in Slovenia, where I bought one 2 years ago (95EUR)...
tnx anyway.
--
Damir

Humber

Heh.... if it is thicker then it mustn't be used in Vision, definetely not for our purpose......

I will try to phone my dealer and ask about the number of lamels on those cams..... for the time being don't order them from yamaha...
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

no chance, their chains have 4, 5 lamels.... u have to buy oem ones..:(
nie ma podpis?w

Humber

no chance, their chains have 4, 5 lamels.... u have to buy oem ones..:(

import them from USA, it will be cheaper...
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

Got any idea or link where to look ? I am desperate, old chain is really streched and slappering very loud... I am afraid to drive with it...

--
Damir

Humber

I have used cam chains that are half-stretched, measure taken at cam chain tensioners.. I might sell them..... u will have reserve of 50 000 kms at least...,

by saying find them in US, I meant find someone on the forum who is willing to help u with the matter....

maybe Walt Miller, maybe Rick G., maybe Lucky... u have to rely on their kindness.....
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

thanks Humber, I will try to find new one. I found man who needs OEM part numers and he said he will give me affordable price here in Zagreb. Do you have those numbers ? I will start new topic with this question...
--
Damir

Humber

nie ma podpis?w