sorta-new V rider

Started by davidsmithxc, April 20, 2009, 05:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidsmithxc

Hey guys, so I got my V about 8 months ago and it ran ok, but drained the battery overnight.  I was on and off here a bit for some help, but never had the time (or finances to finish it up right).  I just got my m-class license (no more permit!) And am super motivated to this baby going again (so much more fun than those trainer bikes!).  Anyway, I just wanted to get some tips on the direction I should go.  Here is a list of what I've done and what I'm planning:

-Checked the YICs: Leaking.  Removed and capped engine ports.
-Installed vacuum hose.  The guy before me not only had removed the vacuum hose (pretty hard to get gas) but also had no oil filter  :o
-Replaced fuel line and post tank fuel filter
-Removed and checked starter, seemed ok
-Checked battery (new, but still checked it at the store with a tester)
-Checked battery voltage while idling: about 12.9v
-Previous owner replaced stator
-Previous owner sprayed out the carbs "real good" with carb cleaner

So, the problems still
-Wont turn over fast enough to start!
-Battery still drains overnight
-Once on a ride, while cruising at speed, without shifting or doing anything but holding the throttle constant, the bike just died

I have a friend who is very experienced mechanically (built 3 cars from the frame up, including the entire electrical system) who is going to help me work on it.  We're guessing there is a short somewhere, but I was hoping someone else might have seen this list of problems and diagnosed the root cause.  Last thing, I can roll start the bike and it idles ok.

I'm very excited to get my V up and running and get some riding experience in general!  Thanks ahead for any help.

PS: Any tips for a new rider/new V-rider will be greatly appreciated :)

Kid Jedi

Assume the previous owner was a complete idiot. ( he did sell his V after all....) a bike running voltage should be at least 13 v. If the stator is plugged into the system, Then I think he lied to you and didn't replace the stator. (That ass). Sprayed out the carbs "real good"? like how "good" he fixed the stator  ???

Prognosis: previous owner was an ass  >:(

Good news?

She is in better hands, YOURS!
Loves to over think things.

musicweb

Look for a short somewhere in the wires coming off the main fuse.
If it's still the old buss fuses, that's where I found my short.

Had to replace a few hunks of wire but it ran after that.

I also tried just carb clean for cleaning the carbs, but ended up dunking them.
It's the only way to be sure, and then carb clean in all passages.

Several good guides on Lucky's and this site under Technical.

Many good people here that have been there.....

Just don't give up....
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

Rick G

1/ Spraying the carbs won't do it 2/ replace the fuse block with a similar one from the auto parts store , those old Yamaha fuse boxes were crap when new, this one is 27 years old. 3/ put a DC volt meter across the battery and run it at 2500, let us know what you get. (should be between 13.5 and 14.5 volts) Check the multi plugs  coming from the stator to the RR and from the RR to the loom, look for melted plugs.  4/ I rebuild Vision carbs , PM me if you want more information.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Walt_M.

The 'dying at speed' could be a bad fuel pump or plugged fuel tank vent. Tank vent is easy to check, just pull the cap after it has run a while. If you hear air rush in, the vent is plugged. If the fuel is below half a tank or so when it dies, it is probably the pump.
Whale oil beef hooked!

davidsmithxc

Thanks for all the fast replies!  I'm definitely making a list.  I down in San Luis Obispo, CA if anyone is nearby or knows of good local resources.