News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Carb cleaning

Started by Kid Jedi, April 25, 2009, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: inanecathode on April 28, 2009, 07:23:39 AM
So really, whats the point of having the fuel pump? Do the carbs use THAT much fuel it has to be pulled in from the tank, or?
Just thinking, its already set up for gravity feed, whats up with the fuel pump too?

:) I think I'm right in saying RickG (and a few others) run with-out the fuel pump on gravity feed. Just means that you have no reserve...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Brian Moffet

there are parts of the tank that are lower than the inlet of the carbs.  In particular, take a look at where the petcock outlet is and the carb inlet.

QBS

When the fuel pump on my '83 went out, only about half the tank colud be accessed.

Walt_M.

I'm still thinking about installing an electric fuel pump. I put one on my TDM and it has helped cold starting immensely. It doesn't have the vacuum petcock like the Vision but I still think it will be better than prime and wait.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Rick G

No, I'm running the fuel pump.  I seem to remember that the 400's don't have a fuel pump, the cylinders are shorter and the carbs sit lower, so gravity is sufficient to create enough head pressure.
As Brian and Q  point out , you won't get as much of the fuel in the tank, with out the pump.

Polaris ATV's use a similar pump, for the same reason.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: Rick G on April 28, 2009, 04:05:20 PM
No, I'm running the fuel pump.

Sorry Rick...its Brian Mathewson who runs his Vision, for several years now, without a fuel pump...
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

inanecathode

Oh, that makes sense.

That'd also make sense why if it starts running funny only on half the tank, your fuel pump might be wheezy :)
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Rick G

Well ,what's one old Canadian, more or less , among friends. :D :D :D ;D
I seem to remember him mentioning that and not having any problem. I'm confused!
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

arthurdent510

I ran without a fuel pump for a while...  I could usually get down to needing about 3 gallons to fill up before it would start acting funny.  ???

thisandthat

Are there any step by step instructions on how to rebuild vision carbs. Having said that, which rebuild kit is suggested.

Thanks

Jon

akvision

keyster Kit "KY 0501"  google it.
you need two sets.    they are about $75 each USD. 

Will ship out of Ontario, Canada USPO 1st Class Mail @ 7.50

get them on Ebay or  www.siriusconinc.com  ph 716-989-0091

I just bought a couple of sets.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

YellowJacket!

Yoda says: "Fully understanding a set of Vision carbs will elevate you to the level of Jedi Master".

;-)

David....after too many margaritas.

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

funkamongus

hahaha  I ordered jets from sirius for my virago and have been happy with their service and their parts.
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Rick G

I won't use Kit jets , far too many are poorly made or mismarked, I pitch the kit jets and buy them from a dealer. We were rebuilding Vision carbs long before the kits came out, with complete success. No way I'm spending 72.00 each for  them , there  worth about 20.00
Rick G

akvision

so, where is a good source for reasonably priced kits or parts?????????????  looking for solutions here.

If  Keyster is the only supplier, then what?  Jets don't really wear out any way?????  Just clean and re-install.
That might be part of my "V"s problem.  Crappy jets

So, are jets standard across the industry?  are all 130 and 122.5 and 127.5's the same threads and od?
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Rick G

You have to verify that the jets are the size that is required. Many owners and mechanics  tried all kinds of lame combinations, especially  on the early '82's with the spring loaded flapper . Many times the jets are damaged , and the numbers obliterated.
There are several types of jets, but that type of Mikuni jet is very common and will be stocked by almost any Motorcycle shop, especially Yamaha shops. Be sure to go through older posts and get the numbers for the air jets , used to improve response.
Usually the needle and seat are fine, but there is one that can be substituted , if necessary.
If you need float bowl  gaskets and don't want to make them , I'll supply them for 15.00 postage included.
We dipped many Vision carbs successfully , long before kits became available . For me they have priced them selves out of the market.
I've installed kits for others , but never used them on my bike. nuff said!
Rick G

akvision

thanks Rick,

I have gone  ahead and bought a carb and is in transit.  I also bought a couple of the Keyster kits...

Maybe get here to Alaska in 10 days or so.   Maybe a while before I really delve into it.  As, 
Am heading for Iditarod Trail Country for 10 days starting May 22.  Check it out  Flat, Alaska, my home town sort of speak.  Now mostly a  ghost town.

I will slowly and deliberatly take them apart and go through the clean clean process.   I will start a thread and keep the group up to date on my progress.   I do hope you will weigh in as I proceed.

As I was reading the manual last night, I noticed the accelorator diaphram and  recently asked my son which side he put the nubin on.  He said spring on nubin.. I think that is backwards..when I look at the exploded view.

Rhpaw want to clearify?  If that is true, it could be a part of the problem..
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

rhpaw

I don't recall.. I did what made sense at the time and had the explosion view in front of me.

Should be easy enough to pull with carb on bike with a magic screwdriver.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

inanecathode

I hope you guys figure this out, its a cherry bike besides the bizzaro running.
Lemme know if you guys need any help, i'm always cruising around.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

akvision

Inane,

We have till September and Rhpaw is coming up for the 4th of July..(to Ketchikan)  I may be able to send him home with a clean clean completely rebuilt carb set and by then and a stock paper filter that I was able to snag.  So by late July will have it all good to go and a full report.

Do plan to try to get with us in early Sept for the ride to Rozwell.  I want to check out the alien nation.

In the mean time am riding my classic R50 and was able to snag a 6 volt horn on ebay.  So now it is just a small wiring problem and blinker problem.  (high beam and turnsignals don't workchasing)  Mamma says get the boats going too.  We live in the salmon capital of the world I'm told!

Rhpaw may get curious after his "V" vacation and check things out.. time takes care of a lot of stuff.

Thanks for the help and continued interest.

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"