News:

Main Menu

Carb cleaning

Started by Kid Jedi, April 25, 2009, 08:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

Had to retune the mixture screws by ear. set the idle correctly and started to lean em out after the idle rose ~500 rpm I dropped the idle again and repeated in that fashion till the motor started to run worse. then back it up to the sweet spot. I noticed that after the carb cleaning my engine would flood at the slightest touch of gas. My float levels were correct. and now the bike dosen't flood any more.  Starting is EASY and my warm up procedure is to start her with full choke and take the choke completly off after 5 sec and let her warm up.

Thoughts?
Loves to over think things.

Brian Moffet

highest RPM and then back off a 1/4 turn, I think that's what people normally do.  Once you do that to both carbs, sync those puppies and call it a day...

Other than that, the startup sounds about right...

inanecathode

I do it till you *TOUCH* the highest rpm it will go. You can crank it a good two turns too far then go a quarter out and it'll run like shit. Just touch where it goes the highest, then back it off.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

Update.
Carbs synced and tuned. Replaced the mixture screw o-rings because they were leaking, Yics can was sealed 1,200 miles ago with jb-weld and is still holding. The bike is behaving PERFECTLY, no stumble, lots of torque running bone stock early 82  (well I changed the 3mm acc. pump hose to a 1/8 in id 3.14mm)  Now for the performance upgrades like those SS brake lines, some RKA bags, and stem bearings... well i think i am ready for the Kinetic Grand Championship next weekend.

Wish I had time to build another rig this year...

akvision

Kid, I want to see a picture of your "V".
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Kid Jedi

She appears as a bone stock Red 82 vision with 11k and no Yamaha badges on her tank. nothing special.. :)

QBS

Wonderful to hear that your bike is running so well.  Certainly a source of encouragement for those who havn't got there yet.  Please give us a look back at where you started, what issues you've addressed and overcome.

Kid Jedi

lol. sure i will make a new post