Hard Very hard Starting.

Started by 2fly, May 17, 2004, 07:42:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2fly

From a New guy on the block.

Hey I found you guys and Boy do I need help??. I have a 1982 Vision that my brother bought in 1991. I got it from him and I used it for about 3 years, and went into storage for the next 3 years in 1997. I got it back and started to work on it, The beautiful thing ran like new, but again in 2000 I had to leave the country and was one more time on storage. Now I have the honor to use it one more time. After the normal tun up (plugs, oil filter, oil, and carbs clean) the Vision came alive one more time the only thing now is that it takes forever to start. BUT once it is running is running smooth. I am afraid to take it anywhere for the fear that if it cools down too much it will not start right away, Couple of times I run out of juice before started, but like I said if it starts it runs fine.
I did take the carbs out and clean them on the bench with carb cleaner and compress air. Any ideas????? : -/

Lucky

read all you can here, & check the "top 10" list on my site , Vision Resources, at: http://www.xz550.com

Thoughts off the top of my head:
leaking YICS, rust in the tank, carbs out of synq, pilots need to be set, weak charging system/battery, oil in the starter, or any combination of those.

Vision carbs are not going to get anywhere near clean with gumout & compressed air. to be truely clean, and run properly, they need to be torn down & dipped, then regular use of berrymans fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

if you havent already, you should add an inline fuel filter.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Art Herrerra

Hey Thanks for the input I will try some of the things you mention I do have a new battery but the system might be weak, how do i check for oil in the starter? ???

Lucky

You gotta drain the oil, pull the starter, & open it up. mif you find oil in the starter, the seal is bad. it's very common.  the stock Yamaha seal has no spring in the lip, replacements do, so they won't leak.
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black