Main Menu

Help?!?!?!!

Started by TixonPB, May 05, 2009, 11:33:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger

Quote from: TixonPB on May 13, 2009, 04:54:02 PM
...What size bolts should i use to re-connect the clutch back to the flywheel?

EDIT: I'm personally not a big fan of a naked bike. I mean, I love the look of this bike but with the ugly headlight, it really needs a fairing. I have two questions. Is the any kind of fairing i can get for an 82? Second, if not, Can I change the single box headlight to one or two round ones?

3 x M8 x 16mm socket head cap screw's and cut them back to length...(I use RED loctite/thread locker when I tighten them up)...

You can, as others have done, change your headlight out for a 7" round one or keep the stock headlight and fit a fairing.......Fairing options: Yamaha "Shark" or "Sport" fairing (see YellowJacket's Vision), Full Yamaha '83 fairing (mine and several others), the "Sting" fairing (similar to the "Shark" but smaller body area), the "Rifle" fairing, Vetter, etc,...Have a look in your local bike wreckers yard/swap meets/eBay and here for other square headlight fairings that you may be able to adapt to fit your Vision...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

TixonPB

Can anyone give me a link to one of the shark or sport fairings?

TixonPB

Alright guys. I finally got all the screws off the case but now that im trying get the case off, i notice that the clutch is inhibiting the case from coming off...How do I get the case off now?

Kid Jedi

first remove the clutch cable form the handle bar. take not how many turns out the adjuster is from the mount, (count the turns it takes to screw it all the way in) that way you can set the clutch back to the original place and wont have to fight with it.

then with some cable slack slip the bottom end of the cable out of the connecting are on the tranny and you are home free.
Loves to over think things.

TixonPB

Thanks. I also have noted that I need a new gasket. How can I order this?

Kid Jedi

go to the auto parts store, get a tube of Ultra copper rtv. its easier, faster and cheaper than a paper gasket

QBS

Before you go with RTV, do a search on RTV and read the various comments about. 

TixonPB

Ok have the cover off but can't seem to get the retaining bolt loose.  Am I missing something? 

Night Vision

you need to jam a lead weight or similar between the idler gear (the gear between the starter gear and the starter clutch gear) and the starter clutch gear....

it's a typical lefty loosey bolt on the rotor.

use a six point quality socket so you don't round it off.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I've said this before, RTV does not belong in contact with gas or oil . So many engines had been blown up with that crap! You will never find it in any engine I build.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kid Jedi

I agree that RTV should NEVER be used in contact with gasoline, but the tube says its oil safe and I have never had a problem with the stuff.

Different strokes...

h2olawyer

Be careful when usi RTV as a side cover gasket!  There have been several instances here where someone used RTV and later siezed an engine.  Turns out the excess RTV plugged up the oil pickup.  Get some gasket paper & make a proper gasket, then use Threebond 1101 or similar to seal up the stator & coil pickup wires / grommets.  Better yet, just get a Cometic gasket.  I've reused mine at least five times and it still seals great.   8)

When I do a stator now, I leave the grommets in place and feed the wires through.  Much less chance of developing a leak that way.  Then it just takes a small amount of Threebond to seal the wires.  After seven stator replacements, I've learned how to do the job quickly and with as little trouble as necessary.  Don't even need no stinkin' instructions or manual for that procedure anymore!  After the third stator, I replaced all the cover bolts with stainless ones.  Tougher & prettier.  Remember --always use anti-sieze when reinstalling those cover bolts.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

What are the thoughts of the group about using a factory/paper gasket coated on both sides with wheel bearing grease or a similar product?

h2olawyer

Before I got the Cometic gasket, I used gasket shellac on the side cover gasket.  Sure made for a great seal and was easier to clean off than the stuck paper.  A light coating of grease may do a similar job, but the shellac is cheap and there's that old adage - "the right tool for the job".  Don't know how the wheel bearing grease would stand up to the combination of oil soak & heat.  I know the heat by itself isn't a big issue with that type of grease.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

akvision

It would keep it from sticking and would not hurt a bit.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rick G

I've been coating paper composition gaskets , with Gask-a-cinch, since 1964.  It helps with sealing and is a big help in a clean removal. It also helps in reusing the gasket.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

Quote from: QBS on May 21, 2009, 09:54:54 AM
What are the thoughts of the group about using a factory/paper gasket coated on both sides with wheel bearing grease or a similar product?

:) This is the "old school" way as taught to me when I was a first year apprentice...maaaaany moons ago!!! Certainly nothing wrong with it...in theory or practice Q... 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!