News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

I'll try to get it running...

Started by Gator68, May 10, 2009, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gator68

Well, I have an 82 Vision listed in the swap shop...  Since no one jumped on it ;) I guess I might as well try to get it running. 

I put a new battery in it.  When I turn on the key I get the idiot lights to turn on.   With the bike in neutral, and the kickstand up, engine kill switch to on, I get some clicking when I push the starter button.  But nothing else.  Time to start tracking down wiring to the starter I guess?  And maybe pull it out to check it?

Thanks for any tips.  I'm starting to work through the FAQ, technical pages and Haynes manual....

Gator68

I get 12 V+ at the positive terminal on the starter motor when I push the starter button, but no turning.  Guess I have to pull it.

funkamongus

If you have the time, You'll get a lot more than what you were askin!! These guys REALLY know these bikes and can help you..  Im betting you wont want to sell her when she runs!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Gator68

I mainly just want something to ride.  If I can get this going I'll keep it.  I'm just a bit leary of getting another caught up in another bike that requires hard to get parts...

I'm open to suggestions from one and all, especially if it sounds like I'm doing something unnecessary or stupid.  :) 

On the good side, so far it looks like the rubber, seals, etc are all good despite the rough looks of the outside.

Kid Jedi

are you sure that your battery is good? if so you need to do a starter seal and rebuild. Some guy was selling brushes on flea-bay when i had to do mine and I got a kit for about 60 bucks.
Loves to over think things.

Gator68

Just got a new battery and charged it up over night.   Maybe I'll charge it a bit more to make sure.

Are the brushes for the starter motor generic enough that I can just search on that?  Or is there another model I search on?  I'll pull out the starter motor sometime this week...

Rick G

Gator, you just need brushes for a 2 brush Mitsuba starter.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Tiger

:) You may indeed need starter brushes, the starter could also be full of oil if the starter seal has gone kaput, the starter solenoid could be shot...However, before you go there try a couple of other things first... ;)

1 x When you push the starter button, TAP the starter motor with a hammer...Does it turn over now??

OR...

2 x With the ignition on, short the starter solenoid (its on the right side of the battery box) across the top two terminals...does the starter turn over now??

:) Let us know the outcome... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

akvision

I have one FREE seal left!
Let me know if you want it.  It will be needed to rebuild the starter.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rick G

Ok you got me I'll take it! I'll pm you my address .
Rick G
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

Glad to do it for you Rick.  Now I just have to get "rhpaw" (currently on "v" vacation) motivated to send the seal out.
get me an address and I wll get crackin.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

yeah, I'll send it.. get get me an address.
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

funkamongus

You guys are the coolest! 8)! They sent me one, too! :D!! It's in hand and ready to be put in when I get back to her!! so cool. :)
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

Gator68

Thanks for the tips.  I already drained the oil, so I just took off the starter motor.  I put the battery voltage directly across it and it didn't move.  I took it apart and the brushes were very dirty, worn.  I need to measure them to compare to the official specifications I guess.  The armature looks good.  I don't find any shorts between the contacts and the shaft, and all the contacts seem continuous.

The inside was a bit greasy, and had some burnt grease, but I don't think it had been filled with oil...

One other thing though.  One of the end cap supports (where it bolts to the engine body) was broken.  How easy is it to get a new end cap?  Or can I just JB weld this?   :)

Night Vision

those long bolts and the starter body where it bolts to the engine is under a lot of stress/torque...

plus, those mounting points are where the starter grounds.

I have a parts starter and can send you an endcap for a $15 paypal donation to the site...

that's what Brian donated for an '83 brake pedal... I think that's fair

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Gator68

Some success!  I cleaned up the inside of the starter motor.  Just some emery cloth and alcohol.  Put it back together and the motor works now. 

Now how do I get the spark plugs out??  If I put my socket on it, I can't rotate the wrench handle.  If I add an extender I bump into the gas tank etc above it.  Is there some perfect Yamaha spark plug wrench people use?  I'm thinking I'll take the gas tank off to get the spark plugs out.

Night Vision, thanks for the offer of the end cap.  I'll PM you.

Rick G

The easiest way to get the front plug out is to pull the tank and use a long wobbly extension , or as many short extensions as needed , with a wobbly on the end. The Vision uses an 18 mm plug wrench, and some have walls that are too thick (like mine so I turned them down enough to fit . ) I'm told snapon 18 mm plug wrenches will fit right in.
Rick G

Gator68

It seems like the socket fits down over the spark plug.  The rear one seems stuck in, I still haven't figured out how to get at the front one effectively.  I think I need to remove all the bracing for the fairing as well as the gas tank.

The rear brake is frozen solid.  The foot lever moves, but it seems like the cam is completely stuck inside.  Another thing to take apart...

Night Vision

take the air box off too... it's almost a straight shot
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano