I'll try to get it running...

Started by Gator68, May 10, 2009, 02:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhpaw

Patience is a virtue working on these old bikes. -Bite me constantly.

A thin 18mm deep will get the plugs front and rear, and I find that a shorty (1- 1.5 inch socket extender works best to get them out.

For the rear brake, it's a bitch to remove the wheel from the spines if they've never been seperated before.. Use a rubber mallet and lots of silent cursing. It will eventually break free. While you're in there replace the brake bolts listed as a sticky at the top of the page. It's MUCH easier to do with the rear wheel off.
(If they're not replaced, the bike will kill you and 4 of your closest family members) -"Curse of the V"
03 buell xb9r - angry tractor

Gator68

I put the starter motor back in.  (JB weld works for now.   ;))  Now the engine turns over at least. 

However I'm realizing that this is going to take more effort than I want to put into at this time.  I really want a bike I can ride.  I'll probably work a bit more to show the engine runs, but I'm looking to pass this on.  Back to the swap shop.

Rick G

Gator, be sure to get something 20 years newer , all old bikes will require extensive  repair to be reliable. 
And most of them will not be anywhere as good as the Vision, when your done.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Kid Jedi

Suzuki gs500, and the kawasaki gpz 550 are both good machines you can get pretty cheap and have a decent amount of support for em.
Loves to over think things.

Gator68

I got an 83 Honda Passport from my brother in law.  I had fun getting that working.  And I don't mind wrenching a bit to keep it in shape.  For some reason I'm just not bonding with this bike.  Might be different if I had some time on it.  I can see everyone on this forum is passionate about the Vision... What is it that makes this bike special for you?

akvision

The Forum!   Plus the bike is cool.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Rick G

It was technicily advanced for the year , it produces very good power , especially for the size , handling is excellent . No chain to mess with . I don't see another one every mile. I could go on for ever and ever .
It just is a combination of factors, to me its worth what ever I have to do, to keep it going
Like I said all old bikes will take a fair amount to get right , but the Vision is worth the trouble, many are not.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Brian Moffet

Quote from: Gator68 on May 17, 2009, 11:36:04 PM
What is it that makes this bike special for you?

When I bought mine, it was from the dealer.  It had 10 miles on it.

h2olawyer

Mine had only 6 miles.   ;)

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Kid Jedi

I am not a racer, I don't want the only place i ride to be a track, i don't want an engine that is only good in a small rpm range. so no inline 4's

I am not and off road rider, and enduros are uncomfortable

I like to take the girl on loong rides so it has to be passenger friendly, so no super duke

I don't want a heavy bike, I need something narrow and flickable

Chain sucks major, and no one is doing much belt

I want a bike that is twist and gone, so it has to have lots of torque so it must be a single or twin,

the only twins are sv650-Chain and too sporty
Super Duke- Too big and not passenger friendly
BMW F800ST- too buzzy and too sporty and bad for passengers
Buel Bad for passengers
Harley- waaaay to much cruiser in that them bikes.
Bmw F650CS -got one, she is damn close, but it is a single but the vision is smoother

rhpaw

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 18, 2009, 12:49:08 PM
Buel Bad for passengers

XB's are bad for passengers.. The vibes are worth a try though. I HEAR they'll vibrate the panties off any female within a 20 foot radius.
(supposedly)

... I'm a marked man, none of those chickmagnet things work for me. :( :(

akvision

Son, you have got my genes!
I have only liked two Harley's ever.  Evil's bike and yours.
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

rhpaw

Evel Kinevel would ride a Buell now.. And, if you watch Ghostrider with Nick Cage, he rides a Lightning X1 to all that daredevil stuff...

Night Vision

Robbie K rides a Hondo CR

he tends to land much better than dad did.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Gator68

All good reasons, and Kid Jedi's motorcycle priorities are a pretty good match for my own.  I'm just tired of having to drill out screws...

Kid Jedi

you go vintage and it is going to be an uphill battle...

funkamongus

I can tell you one thing about going through all the trouble of an old machine (especially a good one)... you've gone through it... Ive had bikes when I was younger, but never really got into wrenching them, Now, without the money to have someone work on them and getting a free bike that had serious needs, I went through nearly the whole thing,, and I feel more secure and confident on that bike than any other vehicle Ive ever had,, now, I can ride it like I can fix it. Because I can. It was lots of work, but the feeling is priceless. I WILL get that feeling from the vision, too. Its not far off, just a few bucks and lots of elbow grease. I think the feeling of accomplishment when someone says "nice bike" and I say, I DID IT!! Is worth the effort. Also,, I get bored seeing hardley ablesons and their clones all the time,, I love seeing ANY other bike.. just for variety if nothing else.. Im a non-conformist by nature so you wont see me on one.. See you on the road,, you'll recognize me, I'll be the one with the permanent grin!!!
I own:
1982 Maico 250 alpha 1... free
1982 Virago XV920J........ free
1982 Vision XZ550RJ....... 100.00
1972 BMW 75/5 W/toaster tank,  I babysit.
PICS ARE AT http://picasaweb.google.com/funkamongus20?feat=email
VIDS  www.youtube.com/funkamongus20
look me up on facebook. ride safe!!!

rhpaw

Agreed.. I always like to think that I can leave something better than I found it. With the Vision, we really do have a winner because man.. when they're bad -THEY'RE BAD! but once you get everything run through and plugged into the right spot. The bike is spot-on.

All the bikes I've ridden have been modern. The Vision doesn't feel like much of a step back for me.
Although I LOVE vintage bikes like mad, I hear they're GD nightmare in just about every sense. The Vision seems to buck that trend. -funny, since it was considered such a kicked dog when new.

HD? everybody hates em... I tend to think they're really pretty bikes in a 57 Chevy sort of way. What I really can't stand is dumbjerks on motorcycles. Cruisers seem to have a lot of them, and sportbikes seem to have a lot of them too.

Take the jerk out of the equation and a bike is just a bike.. just chrome or carbon fiber. Then again, I'd rather have a 70's guzzi than a new R6.. So what the hell do I know?

Kid Jedi

I have restored a couple dozen vintage bikes, the vision is far worse than almost anything else out there.. but she is worth the work.

Tiger

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 19, 2009, 01:38:25 PM
...the vision is far worse than almost anything else out there..

:-\ Hmmmmm, interesting comment...Totally disagree!!! Other than funky carbs, I don't think they are any worse than most  ??? if anything I find them quite easy to get going again...I presently have #10 awaiting pick up from my garage by its new owner and on Friday just gone, with a clean set of carbs in hand, I resurrected "Beast's" Vision which was last tagged in '95, so he could take part in the wekend OnROV Spring Ride...so, KJ, please explain...

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!