News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

'83 risers ?

Started by HasAVision, May 14, 2009, 11:56:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HasAVision

Will my '82 handlebars work with '83 shorter risers or is it necessary to get '83 bars as well?

h2olawyer

The '82 bars work fine with '83 risers.  That's what I'm running.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

YellowJacket!

same here.  They are sometimes hard to find but keep an eya out on ebay as they do show up from time to time.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

inanecathode

If you're going to do the risers, do the footpegs at the same time unless you're a shorter dude. With the 83 risers and 82 pegs you end up kinda scrunched into a C. I fit fine on my 83 with the pegs and risers, but on someones 82 with 83 risers i felt like a monkey humping a football.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

akvision

A "V" described as a "football"??    How about a form fitting race crouch, with those nice indentations in the tank.

by the way Inane.  The grips on your mom's Honda are Italian Tourmaster grips squishy originals.  They are the best.
They can be still had with a google search.  The jcw's are Chinese copies.

akv
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

inanecathode

I'll see how this 6 day vision adventure goes with the grips i have, then try changing out for different ones.
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Rick G

I didn't like the 83 footrests/controls , With any handle bar setup. I don't like the footrests /controls on the SV650 either , too far back and too high. Throws me too far forwards and puts too much weight on my wrists.
I'm running my custom bar mounts  and '82 footrests/controls.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

Quote from: akvision on May 15, 2009, 04:10:43 PM

The grips on your mom's Honda are Italian Tourmaster grips squishy originals.  They are the best.
They can be still had with a google search.  The jcw's are Chinese copies.

Tourismo? grips

if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Rick G

I have a set of Tourismo's  on mine, I like them better than foam grips  and I like them a lot.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

akvision

N.V.

YES  in style but not in quality. Concept is right.  The ones made in Italy are very nice with "no" molding edges showing.
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

Kid Jedi

not to be confused with cheing shin, I mean bike master!
Loves to over think things.

akvision

1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"

kev10104

I believe I have the riser if you need it.I took it up to Tigers place.Let Tiger or myself know if you want them.

HasAVision

Quote from: kev10104 on May 18, 2009, 09:55:13 AM
I believe I have the riser if you need it.I took it up to Tigers place.Let Tiger or myself know if you want them.

I found a pair on Ebay that I have already purchased, but thanks.

HasAVision

So I got the risers. Can someone tell me how you get the bars separated from the old risers?

Tiger

Quote from: HasAVision on May 23, 2009, 06:38:51 PM
So I got the risers. Can someone tell me how you get the bars separated from the old risers?

At the top of the risers (inside) there is a large Allen drive screw that holds the handlebars in. They should have a wee black plastic cap/cover covering the drive,,,remove it. You will need a 5mm Allen key to remove the screw and then you can pull or drive out the bars. Clean the splines and add a smear of anti-sieze or grease before re-installation.

Please note: The handle bars have three adjustable settings...make sure both are at the same setting... :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

There's also a pinchbolt to loosen . . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

HasAVision

Well there was also some kind of screw in retainers on the inside of the bars. I didn't find out they just screwed in til I was done angle grinding them off of course lol. Got the new ones in pretty easy though. I love it, it feels like a new bike.

h2olawyer

Do you mean the large head allen bolts that hold the inside of the handlebars to the risers?  Those are pretty critical - if you ground them off, get some replacements so the bars don't pull out at an inopportune moment!  I wouldn't even ride it without those bolts securely in place.

H2O

HasAVision

Quote from: h2olawyer on May 24, 2009, 01:53:07 AM
Do you mean the large head allen bolts that hold the inside of the handlebars to the risers?  Those are pretty critical - if you ground them off, get some replacements so the bars don't pull out at an inopportune moment!  I wouldn't even ride it without those bolts securely in place.

H2O

It's ok, I can ride my bike with no handlebars. I'll just get some new bolts.