News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

Don Vancek's Dyno Test Report

Started by YellowJacket!, May 17, 2009, 09:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

YellowJacket!

Note that the guy had his coil pickup wrong so you need to double the rpms.  A ninja 250 just before me did 27 HP but I didn't get the torque on it. The dyno operator said his 82 kz750 Twin (not four) did a about the same HP but 15 lbs LESS torque, interesting!  This was at an open house where if you purchased $25.00 or more you run on this small portable dyno. I purchased one of those little volt meters with time and temperature.

Since the document was  pdf (adobe reader) I posted a link to my public folder on sky drive.  Click the link and it will take you to the file to downolad and view.

http://cid-fbf69431aae6cb93.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/File0001.pdf

David  via Don

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

Night Vision

I'm surprised the torque was that much since the claimed is only 37 @8500rpm

guess you got a little torque monster there Don  :)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Kid Jedi

oh god, look at the lumps on the torque curve! the stock vision carbs, SOOO BAD!
Loves to over think things.

Rick G

The kZ750 twin has a reputation of being a turd, so I;m not surprised.

4 valve engines like the vision, usually produce good torque .
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

jasonm.

Oh I see....now. Only 43hp. ???

Hum, I also had about that on my '82. But my '83 had almost 55hp at it's lest test. I should test my '83 again since I have messed with it quite a bit .  I believe I increased my torque but lowered my peak hp. to maybe 50.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

don_vanecek

Take this dyno with a grain of salt, it was portable unit and they only did one run (well what do you expect for free). I can see from the torque figure why you hardly ever have to shift these bikes out on the road. As for the KZ750, I asked the operator for somethinkg to compare to and since he apparently has one he know the figures for that, wish I had asked him for some other figures. yes, the torque figure is confusing as specifications do only give 37 ft lbs, I wonder if there is some difference in the math or standards, I'm not surprized on the HP as this was a rear wheel, on the bike pull, I would think the published 65 HP figure is just off the crank. In watching my bike on the dyno I can see I need to balance my rear tire and I'll bet I'm running a bit rich.

I'm kind of glad they didn't try to do another run or two as I think even that one run took a few hundred miles off my rear tire!

Thank you yellow jacket for helping to post this!

Kid Jedi

Quote from: Rick G on May 17, 2009, 03:47:49 PM

??? I thought torque was a factor of the bore and stroke and a better valve train affects top end breathe ability / HP ???

inanecathode

Quote from: Kid Jedi on May 17, 2009, 11:08:18 PM
Quote from: Rick G on May 17, 2009, 03:47:49 PM

??? I thought torque was a factor of the bore and stroke and a better valve train affects top end breathe ability / HP ???

Yes and no. Better, faster, and more efficient valve closing equates to higher and quicker combustion pressure. More pressure = more torque. Hence partially why diesels can pull stumps.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Kid Jedi

think the v could run 12.0 to 1 with out cam modification? I think she can....

QBS

Do you have a secret source of HiComp pistons?

Kid Jedi

Yup. The pistion company owes me a favor (Sold em 2 square feet of tantalum for 500 bucks, loooong story) , They said they would be willing to make pistons for my V, normally they only make em in sets of at least 8 and i don't wanna try to buy in with 3 other visionarys...

Besides, the pistons & rods in the v are VERY OLD tech compared to what is available now. a lot of advancement in steel/ aluminum manufacturing has come out in the last 10 years.

Ron_McCoy

Don, Do you still have the restrictors in your carburetors?

Rick G

I be happy with  a set of  1st or 2nd over pistons and rings, in the stock compression ratio.

Using a long stroke small bore engine is an old idea to get torque , Big bore short stroke ,with lots of valve area  in a 4 valve configuration is far superior.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

QBS

If you have custom sources,  go for big bore 650cc items.  From what I've read here, from someone that built a hot rod V (name unknown to me now) V cylinders will bore to 650.  Imagine that with 12 to 1.  Better run Premium grade.

jasonm.

FYI- the rods and associated bearings in the "V" won't last at 12:1 and 650cc. Just go to 650cc.
looks aren't important, if she lets you play by your rules

don_vanecek

Ron, yes I still have the restrictors on my carbs. Maybe in couple of weeks I'll give the bike a good going over and take em off and see how it runs. As far as I know I still have the caps over the mixture screws on my carbs, plus I'll bet the mixture screws are frozen up by now anyway.

You know it gets to a point where the bike starts fine and runs great, do I really want to mess with it?  On the other hand my MPG seems down and perhaps some adjustment and redoing some things is probably a good idea-I've been thinking I must be running rich for the last year or so. I haven't really messed with the V for awhile other then putting the monometer on perhaps about two times each summer (and of course changing oil, plugs).

Tell me your thoughts!

Kid Jedi

if it aint broken...

and i think a 50cc/ pistion overbore on the engine would be excessive. after a niskil coating I wouldn't have to worry about new pistions/rings EVER again, provided i change my oil, but i don't think the bottom end can take much more. 58ft lbs o' torque is ALOT for that little tranny. if i went to 12-1 pisitons i could install MUCH lighter ones, possibly 1/2 as heavy, meaning that the rods and bearings would be doing less work. to offset the extra work of 12-1

Night Vision

Quote from: Ron_McCoy on May 17, 2009, 11:30:05 PM
Don, Do you still have the restrictors in your carburetors?

good point! the way they restrict the hp in Europe for beginner riders is a restrictor plate kit...

Quote from: don_vanecek on May 18, 2009, 09:49:03 AM

Tell me your thoughts!

life is too short... crack open them carbs this winter!

my brother doesn't have a vac flapper so don't let that worry you.
2 nickels on the flapper and he gets over 50mpg consistantly and it's not on flatlands either.
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

don_vanecek

I'll get some new plugs next chance I get and do some experimentation. By the way my flappper door is long gone, I can see where the rivets are, but I don't remember even having one (and I'm the original owner). 

Well we will see what happens! 

h2olawyer

Don -

Air box tops are pretty common.  I have an original non-vacuum type.  If you want it, a donation to the ROV site will get it to you.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.