News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

rear end

Started by Kid Jedi, May 21, 2009, 09:04:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kid Jedi

so iw as given a rear shock off of a 07 kawasaki ninja 600 today and it is about 1 inch longer than the own shock, so i was thinking, maby I could make a lever set up on the rear end like the mono shock on the 82 gpz 550 as anyone tried this before?

first gas cap, then mixture screws, now an advanced shock setup using parts you can get for dirt cheap when some one upgrades there rear suspension on a modern sport bike...  I am magical.  ;D
Loves to over think things.

h2olawyer

Humble, too.   :D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

akvision

"You know everything." :D
1960 BMW R-50 "Hanz" reborn April 24, 2009 , Ketchikan
1982 "V" AKBluv, Denver, traded for BMW R1100S
1977 BMW R75/7, "Gertie"
1977 BMW R75/7, Green Lantern Cafe Project
Deep In the INSIDE PASSAGE, Alaska

Extent

I adapted a 636 shock at one point, but it didn't need any levers, just an offset plate and being flipped upside down.  It was defenately a lot less boncy than stock but I didn't ride with it for long.  TBH I'm not so sure that all the ratios work going from what I assume is a dog bone linkage  system to being directly mounted on the swingarm.
Rider1>No wonder, the Daytona has very sharp steering and aggressive geometry.  It's a very difficult bike for a new rider.
Rider2>Well it has different geometry now.

Kid Jedi

TBH? Got the old shock out and am working on mounting options and doing some math, I want to preserve ride height and keep her stock in appearance. The shock has a rebound dampener that is mounted at about 60 degrees from the rear eye, it looks liek it will perfectly fit between two Vertical struts on the swing arm, and the distance to tyre is greater than that of other swing arm components so i dont have to worry about rubbin against the wheel. however I need to drill out the mounting hole on the swing arm side of the shock to 12mm and make a completly new hole on the upper mounting bracket. will post pictures when the light is good.

Any one want my old shock? Only has 11k on it. no leaks or rust.

*Edit: Found out that it is a 1998-2002 Kawasaki ZX6R shock and you can get one for about 30 bucks via Flea-Bay*

Kid Jedi

To Be Honest? The Brooklyn Hospital? The Bird house? Tiny Bacon Hogs? Tibetans Burn Hottest? 

got some numbers for general consumption
98-02 ZX6R shock info
threaded pre-load adjustment, 20-way compression, 20-way rebound damping and ride-height adjustments. Completely rebuildable, and the valves can be changed for custom tuning of the shock.
Designed to be used in a Uni-Track (lever) system with 134.6mm (5.3in) of travel.

actual shock dimensions: ZX6R  (XZ550)
Spring length at lowest pre-load: 19mm (21mm)
Weight: ~10lbs (~15lbs)
Number of coils on spring: 7 (9)
Thickness of spring steel 1mm (1mm)
length of shock Center to center of eye: 35mm (32mm)
Spring pitch: Uniform (progressive)

Setting of OEM shock: 4th preload

Foreseeable issues

The new shock is designed to be used in a system where the shock is compressed progressively by design unlike the yamaha system where the spring is progressive.

Could swap out the springs but would loose some of the softer preload adjusting at the 4th pre-load I have a spring length of 20.3 mm and at lightest the zx6r spring is ~19mm. The ID of the shocks seem identical

Could I order a new spring for the shock?

New shock has diff mounting holes

Can drill out lower hole to 12mm and use washers as spacers for the unit to make it centered. with the new damping systems in the shock the change in rubber grommet should not be a problem. the upper mounting system can get a spacer in the center and the outside trimmed 1mm to get  it to fit in the OEM holder. Would not have any rubber dampening but should be OK if shock is dialed in correctly.

Has rebound dampener.

Will fit nicely in the bike. will cut hole in the rear fender for it and pop rivet thick rubber over the hole to keep the shock and electronics behind it safe form dirt/water. Will test ride with out fender just in case I need to switch back to oem.

Thoughts?

Kid Jedi

If i made those pipes I could change the routing of the rear exhaust to allow me to weld in the whole uni track system, what would change how that bike handled... :D

Kid Jedi

talked to Damion today, he took the 4 day performance race suspension course, ($2,500 a day!  :o) and said that i am over thinking it. Just don't be an idiot about mounting it and take it out for a spin. then pop the shock back off and we can re-valve it perfectly for the bike.  Dont worry about the progressive spring, its just a spring. the shock internals are what really matters. revalveing the shock is about a $200 job the first time, and $100 bucks each time after.

I am gonna fab up and mount the shock probably mid week. After a test ride i will probably switch back to stock and get her revalved.

this could be an amazingly cheap shock upgrade to the vision, especially if you only have to copy and paste my numbers.

Would any one be interested in doing this upgrade? if so i will start making a slide show /movie of how to do mount the shock

Night Vision

after you spend $250 on the ass end, how much are you going to have to spend on the front?

an '83 shock and progressive front springs are plenty good 'nuf. ymmv 
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

QBS

'83 shock may be hard to find and quite possibly long of tooth.

Kid Jedi

Good Enough? GOOD ENOUGH? Perfect it never good enough! :D

83 is probably good enough but I want great.
Shock tech has changed ALOT in 18 years, and i would love to take advantage of some of those advances.
after I do all of this work y'all are welcome to take mine round the block :D

Kevin

You get it figured out, I'll follow in your footsteps. 

Rick G

I see a lot of people when want the latest suspension, brake and tyres. But , what they need to do is learn to ride !!  I'm 67 , riding a 27 year old bike. Yet very few can stay with me . ( it has happened tho) Usually when anyone wax's my plow, their a lot younger and riding something with double the horse and braking power and far better suspension.
My point is not to blow my own horn, but my bike is nothing special . It has air forks, but I don't add any air because of Arizona's  lumpy roads, it has an '83 shock, that is far better than the '82 it came with. It it tired ? I have no idea , the ride is good and the wheels stay on the ground, so I guess its OK! I use the cheapest tyres (it's what I can afford)  I think the most important thing is to learn proper riding techniques. The bike will take care of it self.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Glyn

I've fitted a Triumph TT600 shock  to my Vision with a small adaptor top plate and a fabricated lower bush. Was easy if you have some basic tools and patience. Not sure what spec spring it has on etc. It's off an early TT600. Found for cheap on a local site when someone upgraded. It's a pretty easy mod and heightens the ride about 1 inch I guess. But then I have real long legs.

Kid Jedi

i have the same issue rick. i don't ride with alot of people because they are a liability on my fun ride, they try to keep up with me on their 2005 CBRR and nearly eat it in turns.  i want to go out and have FUN, not prove who is the best. it really alienates me from riders my age

treedragon

I second that Rick.

and I agree it's all about the symbiotic relationship between man, his bike and the experiencial wonderment of being able to whip around corners with a grace and speed to match most........  ??? no I haven't had any cider - yet - soon

Must say though the new shock has raised the bar immensely as typified by a noticeable lack of butt clench moments and a general willingness to explore the outer edges, of the tires that is.

Rick G

My rear tyres wear out in the middle. If you look at them, the edges are unused.  I counter balance. when I'm in a decreasing radius corner, I keep the bike fairly upright and move more of my weight farther out board.
When I started riding it was the technique used  to accommodate the  squarish profile of the tyres then available. This was before the triangular Dunlops.
I copied some of my hero's , who were developing the technique , which evolved in to today's knee dragging style.
I imagine its strange to watch , but it works for me.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

You have to lean the bike to get decent cornering speed out of it. leaning your body helps get that last little bit out of it when you're already in full lean.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

inanecathode

If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.

Kid Jedi

thats not that modern   its mid 1990's tech.  if you do get a new suspension unit for the bike you are going to have to re valve it

You should call mario, cuz you just got 1 Up'ed!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-02-KAWASAKI-ZX6R-05-08-ZZR600-REAR-SHOCK-ZX6-600_W0QQitemZ260414401122QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotorcycles_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ca1e86a62&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A1205|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

:D

modern sprt bike change out there suspesion all the time because they dont wanna  re-valve.