News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Rear Fender Mods?

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, May 03, 2004, 11:47:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

I'm wondering if any one has made modifications or removed the rear fender, and if so, any pics. I took mine off and personally, think it looks better. I'm tinkering around with the idea of moving the signal lights to the holes where the fender bolted in (it will require some widening of the holes of course), and using some type of L bracket to bolt the license frame in the holes where the signal lights were. This moves the signals in an inch or so and up about the same. Do they seem to stick out far or is it me. Anyway, rear fender mods? Pics?

Lucky

Umm, have you read the post "Odd Vision in Cycle World"? Don't think too mny of us like it bobed, of course, that's an extreme example...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Seanie

I removed my fender just last night as it were.  It was pretty easy actually.  

I removed the rear fender and unbolted the license plate bracket/light from it.  I then fasioned some L brackets from aluminum to relocate the bracket/light up and under at little bit.  The L brackets bolt to the rear bolts that hold the fender and the 2 bolts that hold the license plate to the bracket.  

I'll try to post some pics as soon as I can borrow a digital camera.  My friends love how it looks and I do as well.  Some pics would go a long way in showing how I did it...  

Overall it took around 2 hours...

Seanie

Ohhh... I also metal from the plastic portion of the fender and cut the plastic down so it fit close around the repositioned license plate bracket to keep water out from under the seat.

Back_in_the_Saddle

Well, since I'm waiting on parts, and I can't seem to stay away from this motorcycle, I went ahead and removed the rear fender, relocated the signal lights, and attached the license plate much like the post above. I like how it looks. The only down side is that I had to remove the box under the seat. I'm sure with a little tinkering I can get it back in and stable. Since I can't seem to figure out how to post the pics I threw them on some personal web space. http://home.earthlink.net/~wact/
I think it looks a little cleaner and dare I say a little more modern. Take a look and tell me what you think. I can handle it, although I think Lucky's post above was a liiiittle drastic. ;D . Just kidding Lucky, couldn't have gotten as far as I have without you. Believe it! Alright fellas, opinions?

Walt_M.

Well, it does look different but the way it shows the swingarm from the rear, I think it looks a little unbalanced. My 2 cents. By the way, you might want to look at the license plate clearance, looks like the tire might catch it.
Whale oil beef hooked!