Main Menu

Bike dies?

Started by flyinbike, May 31, 2009, 02:00:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flyinbike

hey, well today was a nice day so i went for a rip on the vision and about 5 minutes away from my house the bike just dies while I let off the gas to down shift? I just decided to wait 5/10 minutes to see if it was just hot, so I did and it started back up! Then came a bad decision, i decided to go even farther from my house to " turn around". The bike ran good for about 5 minutes at a steady 4K RPM, but when i came to the stop light and the bike idled down to 1200 rpm it stumbled and tried to stay alive, and it did for about 5 seconds with me working the throttle, praying for it to stay alive. Then it died in the intersection.NUTS!! So i push the bike to the nearest gas station and start pondering. I figure it's RUST in the tank, as the bike was completely gone over( carbs rebuilt, seals.....) 2 weeks ago. So i trucked the vision home and cleaned out the gas tank and i could hear some rust inside, but now the tank has been cleaned with POR-15 and is really clean. I also blew out the carb's and the fuel lines.

Could the rust be my problem? Or is it something more severe?

Walt_M.

Could have been the rust but more likely it is a clogged fuel tank vent. If it happens again, take off your gas cap. If it sounds like air rushes in, clean the vent in the cap. Or just go ahead and clean it now.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Tiger

Quote from: Walt_M. on May 31, 2009, 07:33:30 AM
...more likely it is a clogged fuel tank gas cap vent.

:) I would agree with Walt...

:-\ You are running with an "in-line" fuel filter between the petcock and carbs, aren't you :-\ if not, install one A.S.A.P... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

flyinbike

Could have been the rust but more likely it is a clogged fuel tank vent. If it happens again, take off your gas cap. If it sounds like air rushes in, clean the vent in the cap. Or just go ahead and clean it now.

that sounds like it could be the problem too, as there was rust on the inside of the gas cap. Where is the vent on the gas cap? thanks

flyinbike

Quote from: Tiger on May 31, 2009, 07:45:25 AM
...more likely it is a clogged fuel tank gas cap vent.

:) I would agree with Walt...

:-\ You are running with an "in-line" fuel filter between the petcock and carbs, aren't you :-\ if not, install one A.S.A.P... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)

yes I'am, good thing because there was quite a bit of rust in the tank!

flyinbike

Night Vision

tried running with the petcock set on the prime position?
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

h2olawyer

Clogged fuel filter?

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

flyinbike

finally got it running today, i put a new fuel filter in and it ran.

thanks