cheaper tire solution

Started by kiawrench, May 30, 2009, 05:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

well, we could run solid rubber ones, but those sort of dont work
wooden ones just dont last
and , if you have been so-so tire shopping, i may have a solution

bike bandit is having a sale on tires ! a few others are too, so dont get all wound up ,,
shinko 712 series tires -- 40.19 each, front or rear

i thought these were going to be a bit on the hinkie side, until i got them on, balanced and gave them a 50k run in . at end of 50k, i went ahead and really got on these tires , sticky,ride well, shed water like a duck's butt and really wait for more to be delivered .
i found these to be good on new road, older ,worn surfaces, sandy roads are even ok , wet ones are not even a challenge , even a short turn around in a beach access didnt give any sign of trouble. now, longevity may be an issue, but i wont know until i know .

so, if you are a smaller rider, shinko may be a good choice so far as i can tell - after all, they still make them, they make them in matched tread , and they do not break the bank like michelins or pirrelli

keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

Rick G

I'm a lot heavier than you (250)  and I like the Shinko !I only have it on the rear so far , but it works very well! :D :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

kev10104

I don't think they will ship tires to Canada.

treedragon

Shinko gets my vote on the rear for all the above reasons, and lightness isn't my speciality.

I got 11,361k's out of the last one with just a touch of regrooving, only so I could put on a set of tires at the same time you understand 8)  it was worth another 1000k's with caution.....

Rick G

Kev , can you get someone , just south of the border to order them ? I would be glad to , but the shipping from AZ. , with out a commercial UPS account, would be too much.
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Night Vision

Quote from: kev10104 on June 02, 2009, 05:22:24 PM
I don't think they will ship tires to Canada.

Quote from: Rick G on June 03, 2009, 09:09:37 PM
Kev , can you get someone , just south of the border to order them ? I would be glad to , but the shipping from AZ. , with out a commercial UPS account, would be too much.

order a set, ship them to me, come down in August, throw them on...

I'd love watching someone (other than me) wrassle a tire  :D
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

vadasz1

Kev, I am going to be driving thru Syracuse on a Business trip.  If you can have them delivered to N_V by Monday or Tuesday, I would be happy to take them from N_V in Syracuse.

N_V are you up for a cannonball run transffer?
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

kev10104

I appreciate that guys.I just put a new one on late last year but for that price I wanted to order a spare front and back.Beast goes over the border all the time so maybe we can work something out.

Night Vision

Tiger and I have a swap meet-n-eat every year around first of March if that works for ya
;D

kev10104

I would love to order them because they sound like they are an excellent price.

kev10104

I have 100/90-18 on the front and 120/80-18 on the rear.Everybody the same?

Night Vision

I don't think the 120/80 in the rear is very common. 110/90 is stock. lots of 120/90 out there.

100/80 on the front, I've heard, is nice. 100/90 is stock for 83

I have a nekkid 82 with 90/90-18 and 110/90/-18 combo.... I prefer the skinny tires. Then again, the Avon RoadRunners I have are "fat" for their size.... My 90/90-18 is visibly larger than a battlax 90/90-18... same goes for the rear
;D

Tiger

:) I have a 100-90 x 18 up front with a new Avon 120-80 x 18 rear... ;)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

see, like I said .... oddball
;D

muukow

I have 100-90 back and 90-90 front.I think that may be why my vision has tracked so well through the thunderstorms that keep popping up on my way home (we normally get maybe one or two storms a summer,we have had one every evening this week!) It,s been trudging through standing water crosswalk paint and even no roads in the the construction areas! Some of which,paint strips and standing water make my other bike squirm a bit :o and in the dry they happy right down to the chicken strips,and these are old CS HI-MAX's that I'm going to replace with a set of Conti's asthey don't hold pressure worth poop and this bike seems to be very pressure sensitive!
1982 Vision-stock except for 84 RZ350 paint!

inanecathode

I've got the vision racer special 130/90/18 on the back (courtesy rickg, thanks rick!!), and a 100/90/18 on the front.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

vadasz1

Hey inane, you and I have the same setup.  I have Metzeler 100/90-18 on front and Cheng Shin on the rear.  I think the 130 is just slightly rubbing the inside of the swing arm frame as I can hear a bit of a squeak when turned by hand.  Nothing a few miles of erosion can't take care of.....8)
Keep it upright and she'll always be happy!

'82 Vision XZ550RJ with full fairing, shaved tail light housing and covered in blue hammertone enamel.

tt315

Hello,
  I just ordered front and back
I typed in CUSTREVIEW44 in the promo code area and got and extra 10% off.

Totol cost to my door  90.19

Thanks for the heads up

kev10104

I really want to order the set because it is a great deal$90 for the two tires is incredible.I always get turned back at the border and now you need a passport i believe so I am screwed.

Night Vision

yeah, one problem you might run into is when me and Tiger run the parts gauntlet, they are used parts and I guess customs doesn't give him grief.... hairy new tires might see some dooty  ???
;D