Ticking at 4000+, not at idle and only in gear. Wierd man.

Started by jumpingjesse, May 30, 2009, 10:05:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jumpingjesse

I bought this 82 as a project for me and my 16 year old. So far it's been all me. oh well. It's only got 12,800 on it. Here's the problem. Theres a ticking in the engine around 4000+ rpm. No ticking at idle. no ticking when reving it in nuetral. Riding it, there's a loud ticking and it loses power above 4000. ??? I can't figure why it only ticks when in gear and riding. I used a stethoscope on it, however, since it doesn't tick when not in gear, it didn't help much.  It sounds more like internal engine than valves. I did much research before posting this. I found a service bulletin about a loose counter balancer drive gear retaining nut that described the same symtoms. However, I could NOT get the flywheel off to get to the balancer gear. I broke 2 pullers, heated, lubed, pounded, etc. I don't know whats keeping the flywheel on. It should definitely be coming off. I can see the slot and key. As far as I can tell, the flywheel slot is aligned with the keyway. I probed the slot with dental tools. I'm kinda giving up and I put it all back together before I got past the point of no return. At least it runs now. I'm thinking it would be more economical to buy a bike/engine and swap out the whole engine rather than screw around with tear down and parts purchasing since I can't 100% diagnose the issue.

At this point, I'm willing to sell the bike to someone for parts or what not. It's an 82 but it has the full fairing. Must have been the add on kit. I got pics for anyone interested in buying it.  I'd take $600.

Kid Jedi

Loves to over think things.

musicweb

If you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the full fairing, even if damaged.

You can send a picture to musicweb@sbcglobal.net

Thanks...
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

h2olawyer

Quote from: musicweb on May 31, 2009, 09:24:45 AM
If you decide to part it out, I'd be interested in the full fairing, even if damaged.

The sharks are circling!

It could be as simple as the early stages of an exhaust leak.  The RPMs & having it in gear may put just enough torque on the system to start some leaks in the exhaust gaskets or clamps.  Most likely on the rear cylinder.  Exhaust gaskets are cheap (but replacing he ones in the rear cylinder are a real b!+@#.

Just a thought . . .

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

musicweb

Shark here.....

Yeah, I have the same tick near the rear cyl.....
tightened the clamps but still there.

Minor though...so it will wait until it gets worse.
1982 XZ550 Vision
Most upgrades done... and a large pizza paint job!

Rick G

Some times the flywheel is very stubborn.  I destroyed a few pullers, but the best one will have a 3/4 centre bolt . I put an old socket on the hex on the centre bolt to save the hex . Use the biggest hammer you have ( a sledge hammer isn't too big!!)  Hit the sucker as hard as you can, With a sledge hammer , you won't need to hit it nearly as hard. Also , put a box of rags under the flywheel to catch the starter clutch parts.  Good luck!! ;) ;) ;) :D :D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike