News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Newbie smells starter, literally

Started by Back_in_the_Saddle, May 07, 2004, 11:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back_in_the_Saddle

I finally have my carbs cleaned and shootin fuel, of course now, the starter acts up. I've had it apart more times than I care to say and it appears my washers are messed up. If its not too much trouble, can someone describe the order. Are there washers on both ends? I have larger "washers" and smaller typical looking washers. I know ones a spacer, just not sure which. Looked at diagrams and manuals and they say "remember the order". great! ALSO, is there somewhere I can pick up these washers as I feel I may be missing some. I'm so close I can taste it, unfortunately, its more of a smell. Thanks all.

Forgot to add, right now its just clicking, I did a test with the jumper cables and all i get is a spark, suggestions?

nvdranger

I haven't performed this yet but I did look at powersportspro.com and it has a blown up picture of the starter assembly.  use their partsfish thing, you'll have to create a login but its free and very easy to use.  also lucky's website has some good info, you may want to check that out if you haven't already.

Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

MotorPlow

Also check the Yamaha Web Site //www.yamaha-motor.com ?The Yamaha website had exploded views of every system of your bike.

Chris

ArrrGeee

Back_in_the_Saddle

Thanks guys. Took the starter in to a small motorcycle shop to have it checked. No good. I must have fried it trying to start this thing so much. I have another one on the way. Good news is I found a small motorcycle shop, literally in the garage of what was once a house, now a business. It was kinda funny sittin there with my vision as all the other bikes are new and pretty. Seems a bike club takes their bikes to this place. I think thats a good sign, and the mechanic was pretty friendly even though I had the old bike and he knows I'm doin most of the work. I'll let you know how I do next week,(parts comin in) the theory is she's gonna start. After that, well, I'll jump off that bridge when I get there.