News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

buzzing noise

Started by Jimustanguitar, June 04, 2009, 12:26:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

I was riding the other day and could hear an audible pitch buzzing when the engine revved. At first I thought it was my keychain because it rattles like that quite often, but I grabbed it and the noise continued. It is coming from in front of me, so it has to be something up there somewhere. I have not checked my valve clearances yet, but that is my best guess. Either that or sloppy control levers.

Has this happened to anybody, have you figured it out? Thanks a bunch.

inanecathode

Is it speed sensitive? Could be the speedo cable.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Jimustanguitar

didn't think of that. Or the tach cable for that matter. I haven't lubed them since I bought it, so I will check.

QBS

Tach is electric.  Grease the speedo cable input carrier where the speedo cable plugs into the speedo head.  Do very soon and you'll never have to replace your speedo head.  Don't do it very soon and you'll soon wish you had.  The sound will only get much worse.  You won't believe the noise and vibration it can make, if left alone.  This isn't a V only gremlin.  It's an old Japonese speedometer gremlin.

Rick G

Its most likely the input bearing on the speedo (where the cable attaches) I tried forcing grease up the opening that the cable screws on to , but wasn't satisfied with the result. I drilled a 1/16 hole just above the threads that the speedo cable attaches to squirted some lubriplate in there and then installed a self taping screw to seal it up. Worked like a charm and I can lube it every year.
If you ignore it it WILL break the speedo cable core.
Ask me how I :D know!
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike