News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Coolant

Started by Jimustanguitar, June 08, 2009, 02:54:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimustanguitar

When changing my engine coolant (antifreeze) the manual just says to top off the radiator after putting the drain bolts and thermostat back in. Is there no vent at the top of each cylinder or anything like that? Do I need to burp the system after I have had it warm up a couple times, or is there some other procedure that I should follow?

Thanks.

Tiger

:) There are a couple of ways to do this...once your have changed out you coolant... ;)

1 - Run the bike up to working temps, shut her down, remove the gas tank and crack the bolt head open at the metal "T" piece that the top rad hose is attached to (right side of your Vision). Once the pressure is off, remove the bolt and top up with coolant, replace the hex bolt and gas tank...VOILA!!!

OR...

2 - With the rad shroud cover removed from the front of the radiator, remove the coolant cap from the rad' and run the bike for a few minutes until ALL the air bubbles dissipate, top off, replace rad cap and rad' shroud cover and ...VOILA!!!

Your choice...but like RickG, I do the second one :o Easier, quicker and it works 8)

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

h2olawyer

Since a coolant change a relatively rare occurrence, I normally fill mine as much as possible from the radiator fill cap, then top off with a small funnel @ the "T" fitting under the tank.  Last 2 times I've filled using this method, I didn't need to burp it.  As for just adding coolant, I use the overflow tank - but that's been extremely rare, even when my coolant pipe leaked and the waterpump weeped.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

QBS

For those choosing to top off via the bleed bolt in the radiator "T" connector two tips.  One: Use the flats on the connector adjacent to the bleed bolt to stabilize the connector so as to be able to put some muscle on the bleed bolt.  In some cases' corrosion will have frozen the bolt into the connector, so some grunt will be necessary.  Two: When reinstalling the bleed bolt, wrap its' threads with Teflon tape to make its' next removal a non issue.