interchangeable parts

Started by ArrrGeee, May 08, 2004, 09:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArrrGeee

What parts have people replaced or swapped from another make or model? ?I'd like to maybe include this information in the parts resource catalog. As these bikes get older, parts are getting harder to find in decent condition, it would be nice to know you could swap out something else as a replacement or even an improvement.
For example, I picked up a set of brake rotors from an FJ600.
they are the same rotors, now I know the calipers are slightly different because the mounting brackets holes are spaced further apart but there may be other items that could work such as the wheels etc.

another example is that I picked up a r/r for a honda cbr929 which uses the same size stator as the vision, it is a newer part 1999 I think and the wires are of heavier guage.

a couple more examples would be brakes from an RZ350 or a seca 650 turbo, or a stator from a vt500 or bmw F650.

ok so has anyone done any other part swaps that worked out ok?

-Ron

Waapman

CBR F3 mastercylinder.  mounts right up.  No spot for  a mirror though, but if you use the full fairing it doesnt matter.
Got WAAP?

Per

Great idea!
According to B. Lajoie on "Leather's" Vision Garage the regulator/rectifier are interchangeable with Honda CM400/450, CX 500/650 or Kawasaki late model KZ/ZX 550/750/1000/1100. Wires might be coloured differently but he also explains how to wire.
/Per

Dave T.

I put a Venture R/R in my V. It just has 2 extra black and red wires. ? :P
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

MotorPlow

I used a Stator from a Honda Shadow and a R/R fron (I think) a Virago.  I checked Rick's and Electrex's websites and cross referenced what bikes used the same Stators and R/Rs.

~Chris

dpanijan

I need to replace cam chain, and my local bike-workshop don't have XZ in his catalog. He says that it could fit from some other bike, but he needs dimensions of elemenets, and how many elements it has. So, if someone has old chain and can measure in metric, please help me.

BTW, I have Yamaha dealer 60km from me, but original chain costs about 120-130 EUR (about 150USD), and chains for other bikes in workshop is about 50USD...

Damir
--
Damir

Humber

SUZUKI GN250 uses the same cam chains...
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

The same - the same lenght, the same number of elements ?! Thanks, but I am afraid my dealer will say he don't have GN250 in catalog :-(
I will check it out !
--
Damir

Humber

I have them in my local accessory parts catalogue and gn250 and Vision has the same code for cam chains... means they are the same

also suzuki dr250s, tu250 xv,
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

Great news, they have chain and they cut it in lenght you need ! Also, the man in shop says that gn250 need 112 elements, so the Vision would be the same. The price is about 0,54EUR / element, so the whole lenght would be 61EUR what is good price (it seems to me).

Humber, please confirm the lenght is 112 elements and if you know, tell me can I replace the chain without removing engine from bike, is it possible ? I beleive I must remove left cover to see sync marks (and drain oil out), and so far could I go myself, but I don't have space for removing the whole engine.

--
Damir

Walt_M.

You can probably do the cam chain replacement without removing the engine but you will have to be patient. The last time I checked/adjusted my valve clearance, I decided that I would probably take the engine out next time I did it! Seemed like there was always something in the way. It did involve a lot of sweating and cursing!
Whale oil beef hooked!

Humber

yes it must be 112 elements, because the code in my catalogue says "68112112" for gn25 and Vision, so it must be it!!!
nie ma podpis?w

dpanijan

OK, that's it ! After job, I am going to workshop and will buy chain.

Thanks everyone for answering, i will report how the operation will go.
After that, I have only (only!) to do carbs and my Xz will be as good as it can :-)
--
Damir

QBS

The opposite of interchangable is not interchangable, as in V left hand hi/lo beam rocker switch, turn signal switch, choke lever assembly.  The 82' version will not plug directly into an 83' wiring harness.  BTW, I have an excellent/virtually NOS 82' left hand switch assembly for sale cheap.  Cheers.