Digital Tach/Speedo Mod

Started by Re-Vision, July 13, 2009, 06:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Was looking at some archived pictures of Yellow Jacket's cool speedo/tach and I would like to know what all is available out there, either bought off the shelf or transferred from some other machine.  Does everything still work just like Yamaha designed it or are somethings better or worse?  Pictures were from the front fork replacement and I enjoyed the step-by-step detail as well as the rubber bra for the lower forks.  BDC

YellowJacket!

I bought it directly from the manufacturer and can find the info if you are interested.  I also dedicated an entire post to the whole installation with lots of pictures.  And...I kept notes as to which wires do what.
The gauge cluster I used is very useful and provides a wealth of info such as multiple trip meters, running time, stopwatch, speed, RPM's (both by the hockey stick gauge and numerical) and much more.  All the idiot lights wire directly into the Visions wiring harness and function.
As far as problems, the speedo took a bit of adjusting to get right.  I think the gear hub in the front wheel has some sort of reduction in it because when I put the tire circumference in the settings it said I was going 200 mph! hmm.   Fiddling with the settings/size got me close to actual speed. I'm actually going to use my GPS tomorrow to compare speeds.

The other thing that is a bit flakey is the tach.  Presently it jumps all over the place but thats because I was worried about wiring it directly into the TCI and chose the alternative method of wrapping the sensor wire around the front cylinders plug wire and holding it in place with tape.

Overall it was a relatively easy project once I figured out all the connections and it gives the bike a decidedly modern touch.  The only other caveat is that you lose the automatic turn signal cancellation which is part of the OEM speedometer.
I'll look for the link to my full post and add it in here.

Heres one of the links:  http://ridersofvision.net/rovforum/index.php?topic=6868.20

It also looks like they cam e out with a new model since I purchsed mine.  Looks like it would be a good addition to the Vision but its almost twice the price as mine:
http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers-series-3950.php

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

YellowJacket!

Heres some more info that I emailed another member that may be helpful:

Thanks for your interest in my speedometer project.  I got the 3900 Dual Sport Combo Model 3915H from electrosport.  www.electrosport.com .  Here's the contact info for yu and let Marcus know that you have the same setup as me, David Arpino so he can get you the right speedo cable.
Also, when you get to setting it up, email me and I can help you sort out the spaghetti of wiring as I took detailed notes.

Contact info:
Marcus Atkinson
Electrosport Industries - Tech/Sales
3803 Oceanic Drive, Suite 201
Oceanside, Ca 92056
Sales: 1-888-369-8359
Tech: 1-760-852-8300
www.Electrosport.com

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)