News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

Swing Arm Lubrication

Started by Re-Vision, July 28, 2009, 02:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Re-Vision

Going to lube the swing arm by tapping the bushing over far enough to put grease on needle bearings, then sliding bushing over so as to lube the other side.  This frame as been sitting a long time, do I need to clean out the old grease or just add new grease?  BDC

Night Vision

why not just remove the swing arm, measure for thrust washer slop, brake clean the bearings, regrease with your finger, grease the bushing, and almost do the whole job (sans replace bearings)?

the hard part is getting the swing arm bolt out, and since you plan on doing that anyway, .... the rest is easy and inexpensive.. the thrust washers are a couple of bucks and are available at the dealer last I knew.... that'll get yourself a nice tight rearend  ;)
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

kwells

...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

Rick G

I love a tight rear end! ;D ;D ;D ;)
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

Lucky

Rick, you stay over there on your side of the room...

(where's the slightly homophobic icon?) lol

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

Rick G

I didn't specify which gender , I prefered the tight rear end on , But, so far in my life, I prefer it on a woman!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Rick G
Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there in lurks the skid demon
'82.5 Yamaha XZ550 RJ  Vision,
'90 Suzuki VX800, 1990 Suzuki DR350.
'74  XL350   Honda , 77 XL350 Honda, 78 XL350 Honda, '82 XT 200 Yamaha, '67 Yamaha YG1TK, 80cc trail bike

inanecathode

Quote from: Lucky on July 29, 2009, 06:19:02 AM

I think its a combination:  :o :-X :-\ :-* :D
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
If you can't tell your friend to kiss your ass then they aren't a true friend.
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

h2olawyer

:police: and maybe  ???

For those who remember The Village People   ;D

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Brian Moffet

YellowJacket!

Quote from: Lucky on July 29, 2009, 06:19:02 AM

)x(

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)

h2olawyer

Never thought of the look really.  I got white leathers because they don't soak up the heat of the sun like darker colors.  That is the only reason for them.  I hate hot weather & my body does not put up with it well - even if I'm drinking tons of water.  These leathers are much more comfortable than the cordura armored gear I have & they're fully perforated from the knees to the shoulders.  They are awful for going in to eat someplace or just standing around in, but for riding, there's absolutely nothing I'd rather wear than full leathers like these.  They're very comfortable while on the bike.  The white does show bug splatters clearly, though.   ;D

David just might have hit on the homophobe emoticon!  That's funny.

As for lubing the swingarm bearings, Do it while you have relatively easy access to them.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Raj1988

How do you get the darn swing arm bolt off in order to be able to separate the swingarm from the bike. I finally got it loose and out about a 1/2 inch> now it just turns with a lot of effort but isn't going anywhere!!
Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution

Night Vision

Raj, I think I know where you're at....

you have the swingarm bolt loose but it just won't come on out....

there's no weight on it because the rear wheel is off, the shock is off and you have the swingarm supported... correct?

and it STILL won't come out....

all I can tell you is keep on trying.... get as much leverage between the end of the bolt and the frame as you can.... twist and pull with channel locks.... block of wood/pry bars...

again, think leverage..... something like a slide pull for pulling out dents would be nice
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Raj1988

Bloody hell, Have you got me figured out or what!!! Right on with where i'm at!!
I tried using a caliper tool(the one used to push the piston back in while doing car brakes) but the damn thing wont move. I have a feeling some of the threads may have been stripped... Will keep trying

Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution