"ride like a pro "video or dvd

Started by kiawrench, May 02, 2004, 05:06:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiawrench

does anyone have a copy of this video /dvd ??
 ? is a tips/tricks /training video for building riding skills,,,
 have done my local rider safety classes , but they left me feeling like i spent a lot of money to sit around looking at crash statistics , very little in the way of increasing my riding skills. ( two of the three didn't require wheel time or proof of understanding )
 ? This series of videos demonstrates higher level riding skills , most definately in my list of things to learn. ? ?Let me know if you have a copy , ?
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

scootertramp

you're kidding? you ain't kidding! ahahah!
I been riding two wheelers since I was a kid. I had three wrecks.All when I was shirtfaced dronk.  all my fault no other s involved.
Simple rules . never drive faster than your brakes or headlights will allow and expect folkes to pull out in front of you.
You be riding a motorized bi-cycle.  you can die at any time you stop thinking.  things fail. tires go. tires go. tires go.. if they go in a curve you can hang it up you goin' down. so DRESS for the WRECK not the ride.
Ride as if everyone will pull out in front of you and stop. when they do you'll say ahahaha!
I've been a hunner'd plus mph on this minibike and I could have died. I can die at fourty-five mph if granny  or new mommy clips me cause I stopped thinking.
turtles and dead animals  in the road will kill you.
look for stuff in the road. Know your riding surface.
Curves and turns have sand and gravel that will throw you down and stomp on you.
I could go on for miles.
thanks for lettin' me share..
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

kiawrench

super, i know you meant ?well, but let me share a bit here....
 ? "any man can have 20 years experience in his field, but only a fool has the same year 20 times over" . if you think you dont need to improve your riding skills, then you dont need to ride, sell your bike.
 ? ?there is more to riding than a good bike, good maintenance and good riding pals. I saw a 90 lb female police officer riding a kawasaki 1100 sp ,in full patrol dress,complete a 5 ?event riding drill in 3 mins and 32 seconds. never once did her foot hit the ground,and she did not dump the bike.
 ?i dont now about anyone else, but if i can get to that level, i think i can handle just about anything in a normal days ride .

unless ,i decide to ride like super,, just get drunk,, wreck a few times ,, that'll make my "level" go up too,, my insurance risk level .
keep your bike running,your beer cold ,and your passport handy.all are like money in the bank .

ArrrGeee

sorry, I don't have a copy of the video but I will comment on my msf experience...
I liked it, I'd been riding for about 16 years or so before I took the course, read everything I could get my hands on up to that point and decided it was worth the 135 or whatever it was when I took it.  While I will say that we did have to watch the pia movies like back in high school drivers-ed, there were one or two things I picked up from them.
out on the course the instructors (2) were good, they had us do all of the moves over and over till everyone in the class was able to do them.  It was a bit tiring after a while, sort of like a 2-day boot camp kind of thing. I still thought it was well worth it and I recommend it to everyone I talk to about it.
check my posts ;)

There are plenty of guys that think that they don't need to take a class on riding because they know how to get on the thing and twist the throttle. It's too bad really because those are the ones that are part of the statistics.

The advanced course is also supposed to be pretty good although I haven't taken it, it gets booked up pretty early.

2 other things, get your hands on a copy of Kenny Roberts Techniques of Road Racing, excellent book. he is brilliant and won many championship races.
There is a local guy who runs track days at NHIS which is the closest track near me.  it's available to anyone who wants to ride.  it's not about racing, in fact you will be kicked off the track if you start trying to mix it up, it's about improving your skills.  you know they used to race these bikes back when they were new. I bought my first one from a local guy who raced it for 2 years. anyway, see if there is anything like that near where you live.  here is the link to Tony's track day's.
http://www.tonystrackdays.com/

just to illustrate a point, one of my coworkers husband is paralyzed from the neck down due to a bike crash, the guy had been riding for 20+ years and bought a new bike.
long story short, the skid marks were over 250 ft long.
he never took a riding course, and obviously no one told him how to stop a bike. I doubt he ever touched the front brakes.
I believe that had he taken the course he would still be riding today.

that sounds like an interesting video, I've got a dvd burner so if anyone gets it and wants some copies made.... ;)

-Ron

Dave T.

I'd say find a class near you that teaches riding skills. I found one last year and it rocks! It's called "defensive driving skills". //www.ridingcourse.com These guys are racers teaching us racing skills on a closed course. Only $75 a day. I learned a lot about racing. Didn't do it on the V though. Maybe this year...
Life is special; and I believe you can overcome it's biggest obstacle, yourself. ;)

QBS

Get a copys of David Houghs' books "Proficient Motorcycling", "Street Statagies", and "More Proficient Motorcycling, Mastering the Ride", all published by Bowtie Press (866-888-5526).  Available through most decent book stores.  These books are considered the "Bibles " of this type of literature.  Hough wrote a monthly column called "Proficient Motorcycling" for many years for MCN.  Five years ago I had honor of visiting with him, one on one, and uninterupped for three hours.  The man knows his stuff!  Cheers.

kiawrench

i found the whole set of tapes, and where next seminars will be
  Myrtle beach Bike week,, signed up for the course,
advanced police riding techniques , now just have to tow vision and kz1000p resto to the beach . Am doing course with the resto police bike,, riding with family on the V .
wont need hotel,, wife's brother lives 250 ft from the grand strand,,, whooeee,,, new skills, bike week
   that will be one good week,, vacation , first one in 5 years for me .

Lucky

uh... do you realize how many little old ladies with cadilacs live there?...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

kiawrench

yep sure do,, thats why also riding with wife's brother,, at 6'5" and 300 lbs of semi pro wrestler,, he watch out for old ladies,,,,he so darn big ,and scruffy -- they park on opposite
side of beach,,, walk back to shop for salt and pepper shakers .