News:

We rely on our supporters to help keep us running. Thank You!

Main Menu

My first major problem

Started by tizod, May 05, 2004, 08:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tizod

Yesterday I started breaking down some of my bike.  The main goal was to get the gas tank off and emptied before my POR-15 arrives in the mail.

I have hit a snag however...

There is a small amount of gas in the tank and when I move the tank back and forth I can hear what sounds like sand sloshing around.  I am assuming it is rust.

My thought was that I would remove the fuel gauge thingy (I am not sure of it's technical name) from the tank and then would be able to get the gas and soot out freely.  The problem is the two screws that hold that thing onto the tank are pretty weak and are easily stripping when I try to loosen them.

I obviously can't drill or cut at it (since there is gas in the tank) so I am not sure what to do.  Is there a product I can get to help get these screws off?

That is my biggest hurdle right now.

I did also remove the airfilter and checked out the carbs without removing them.  I was actually surprised how clean looking they are...but then again, I have never done this before so I don't know what a dirty one would really look like.   :P

Thanks again.
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

tizod

I just re-read this and realized that I did not describe the part clearly.

It is the part where the gas comes out of the tank and into the engine.  Again, I am not sure what the technical name is.

Thanks.
Visions seem like women, Not sure what her problem is, don't want to spend more money on her, thinkin about getting another one, tricks you in to thinkin things are goin right and then just stops any communication. - Back In The Saddle

h2olawyer

Hi Tizod -

The fuel thingy is called a petcock. ?The solid particles you are hearing mixed in with the remaining gas is most likely rust. ?Mine made the same sounds before I lined my tank. ?I got all the gas out that I could first - it was fairly easy for me, the rust in one lower corner made a fairly large hole. ?It was just a leak at first but when I pressed on it, the area opened up to about a 1/4 inch hole. ?The remaining gas and rust drained out easily then!

As for your screws, are the threads stripping or are the heads deforming? ?First, try spraying them liberally with PB Blaster, (available at many auto parts stores - my NAPA has it locally)wait a while for it to work and then try removing the screws. ?If that fails and it is the threads, you might need to drill them out after emptying the tank and washing it out. ?If it is the heads, I'd try using vice grips on them. ?If the heads twist off, you will have no other choice than to drill them for either use of an EZ out or through drill them with a left hand bit - I've found that often, the left hand bit will get part way through the screw and it will break loose and come out before you get all the way through.

Hope this helps & good luck.

H2o

Just one more thought - with all that rust in your tank, your carbs may look clean but you can be fairly sure that some tiny rust particles have found their way into them.  I'd say it is a sure thing if your bike does not have an inline fuel filter between the petcock and carbs.  If you are fairly handy and have some experience rebuilding carbs, you can disassemble, dip and clean them while you are waiting for the POR - 15 kit to arrive and dry.
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

nvdranger

Has H20 said your carbs may look clean but thats probably not the case.  My carbs looked really clean as well and when I broke them down and rebuilt them there was a layer of varnish in the bowl of the carb.  However my bike sat for a few years and I don't know if you will have the same issue.  
As a side note rebuilding them will make sure you have the correct jets as well as having new o-rings.  The previous owner didn't have any problems, supposedly, but I found a few of the o-rings were shot and could cause a problem in the future.  Just my 2cents.

Good luck
Ken
'82 Vision project.  First Vision, First Bike.
Sometimes monkeys die, Sometimes monkeys die.  It not a good saying, but its a saying.

tizod

I thought it was the petcock.... ::)  Thanks for clearing that up.

It looks like it is just the head of the screw that is the problem.  I tried using a couple of different drivers to get it out but none of them even gave it a budge so I tried my cordless drill/driver and that just started stripping the heads.

I think I will try and find some of that PB Blaster and get started on that.

I would love to get started on the Carbs but I don't have the manual as of yet.  Is there on on-line version anywhere?

scootertramp

I keep a note pad of all the Articles or HEADINGS that deal with that subject. I begin at the last page and (Click open in NEW WINDOW) every TOPIC i see that might deal with that subject.. Read,read ,read some more. Then after you go through all elebinty seben pages and you have amassed a wealth of info in your notepad stsrt looking again. cause there is so much here that unless you really scour this place you'll miss a vital tidbit of info.
I had NO idea of what I was doing I bought it NON-RUNNING from a junkyard and got it running, kept it running and made it run well cause of all the info and HELP here.
I'm currently rewinding the stator and replacing the RR. while just completing the starter clutch FIXX and MOD..
I know what type and size of tires to get, and how much to pay for 'em without getting TOOK.  I know where to get a goode TCI for fourty clams(thanks LUCKY) and I know that the shimmy at ninety will go away if you do a couple of things.
This is a great bike and site AND A KILLER GROUP of way cool daddios and mammbirds who all like to ride one bike.
my bike would not have given me over two thousand miles in less than a year if not fir this site and you know who.
IT's a VISION.   82. 550. water-cooled and shaft drive.
yes'm water-cooled just like a car.
No. no chain. it has a shaft drive like a car.
well no mamm I don't wish i had a car.
well, when it rains I have to find a dry spot.
cause this is a

tizod

Thanks again for the advice.

I went out today and got some of that PB Blaster and it sure 'nough did the trick.  I got all the old gas and hopefully all the rust out of the tank.

Thanks.

Lucky

I champion PBlaster, it's incredible stuff & no other penatrating fluid comes close to being as good...
1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black