News:

We would like to thank our supporting members for their generosity.

Main Menu

Why do carbs go out of sync?

Started by pullshocks, August 18, 2009, 12:57:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pullshocks

I checked sync yesterday and it had changed considerably from last summer.  I have not done anything to it except ride, and the adjuster lock nut was tight so I don't think the adjuster rod had moved.  What else could cause the sync adjustment to drift?

kwells

Are you checking the sync with the YICS box still connected at all?  Also...when you tighten the little nut on the sync rod you can change the sync that way as well.
...a vision is never complete.

www.wellsmoto.com

pullshocks

Currently the YICS is off.  It may have been on when I checked it before.  It was not leaking

h2olawyer

The YICS will change the synch a bit.  Also, if you are using the tubing / ATF tool, it is very sensitive and very tiny changes in balance show up as rather large changes in fluid levels.  You could also have crud in a carb - or have had crud in a carb last time you synched and it came loose over time, so is clean now.

Be careful - the lock nut only needs to be decently snug.  With the ultra fine threads on the synch rod, they strip or deform fairly easily.

H2O
If you have an accident on a motorcycle, it's always your fault. Tough call, but it has to be that way. You're in the right, and dead -on a bike. The principle is not to have any accident. If you're involved in an an accident, it's because you did not anticipate. Then, by default, you failed.

Lucky

1982/3 XZ550 Touring Vison, Gold on Black

YellowJacket!

I may be a bit wrong but its an idea... You checked your sync and yuor carbs were in good shape. You rode it quite a bit and blew out some of the grime that was still clogging it up a bit and now its running better (I think the grime may have been some discarded gremlin hulls) so the sync needs to be readjusted.
In theory though, there is a big difference between syncing with the YICS and without.

David

Living the dream - I am now a Physician Assistant!!   :-)