News:

Ridersofvision.net  welcomes you !

Main Menu

A popping noise when comming off idle

Started by Kiwi, August 28, 2009, 01:06:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kiwi

This is hard to explain... but here goes.
If i am cruising along, say in 5th.  And when i let off the throttle, basically to maintain speed not increase it.
I hear a popping sound under the gas tank.  I think it's coming from the rear cylinder, but i could be completely wrong.
When accelerating, all sounds good ( sound really nice actually )
It does seem to happen around 2500 rpm, but it could be a touch higher or lower.
The carbs are somewhat synced... I need to get the proper tool to do it well.

So... Basically.. when I ease off the throttle, i often get a popping sound from the carbs.

What adjustment is needed?
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox

Tiger

:) Check that the two clamps that hold the exhaust "Y" pipe in to the rear cylinder head are tight...you may have an exhaust leak which, on deceleration, can give this symptom :-\

8).......TIGER....... 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming HOOOOYA lets go again baby !!!!!!

'82 Vision, Pearl Orange finish, lots of up-grades!!!

Night Vision

popping on decel can indicate a lean situation... vaccum leaks or lean mixture... you got staintunes right? might have to rejet
if it ain't worth doing it the hard way....
it ain't worth doing it at all - Man Law
;D

if it ain't broke..... take it apart and find out why

don't give up.... don't ever give up - Jimmy Valvano

Walt_M.

Could also be the exhaust valves are a little tight. You don't need the tool to check the clearance, it just makes it easier to change the shims.
Whale oil beef hooked!

Kiwi

I found a small leak from the front headers, plugged that up and the noise went away. 
Thanks !
US 82 XZ550 with the flapper Airbox